Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Transporting skinned deer

Old 08-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Transporting skinned deer

I get my deer butchered, but have to skin it before I drop it off. Not a big deal for me, but getting the carcass back in the bed of my pickup is a bit problematic.

What I do currently is put the carcass in a trash bag and then place in the back of my truck. Sometimes this isn't the cleanliest of processes with the trash bag (Contractor size) not being big enough, poked holes, etc.

Anybody else out there deal with a similar situation?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would find a new processor or process it myself. In my state you would need to tag the carcass with you hunting license number and the date of kill and twp killed if it was skinned. If it wan't skinned, the ear tag needs to be attached. In addition, if you are checked with a deer that isn't whole with the hide and head attached in a natural position, you would be required to produce same upon demand of a WCO.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bone it out and bag the meat in those 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bags and put it in coolers on ice. Then butcher it yourself.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to or have to continue doing it like that, buy a tarp of decent size that you can lay in the truck, toss the skinned deer on it and then wrap it over with the remainder of the tarp.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:56 AM
Spike

Maybe you could check out something like Alaskan game bags? Keeps dirt and crap off but allows air to circulate. Price for 4 bags was $12.00 and they are washable and reusable.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I use a sheet. The legs won't (usually) poke through it and rip it. And you can wash it when you're done and use it next time. I lay it right in the truck, back the truck under the deer and let the deer down onto the sheet. Then wrap it up well so it doesn't blow open.
-Jake
Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I usually skin and quarter up the deer and wash the meat thoroughly. I'll then place the meat in a cooler with water, ice and salt. I'll let the cooler ride around in the back of my truck for a day then drain the cooler and fill it back up with ice to carry to my processor. Seems to be the cleanest way I could come up with over the years. Letting it soak in the ice/water/salt mixture helps pull the blood from the meat.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree find a different butcher or butcher it yourself
your already half way there of doing it yourself any how?/
when I process a few at a time I use plastic tote's to put different pars in(hind quarters' rib's etc.) makes moving them easier, and can wash out and reuse
Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great tips. I appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Little late in this post, but in my opinion if you have gutted and skinner the deer, the hardest part is over. I debone the meat and put it in Cabela;s Alaskan game bags. I throw everything in a large 96 gallon cooler, cover in ice, set on angle and open the cooler drain. As the ice melts, it washes the blood from the meat and keeps the cooler at the appropriate temperature for aging (if you like to age it). Simply keep replacing the ice and make sure the drain does not get clogged. Great method for early season.

To debone and cut up, I liked the McClendon Meat videos on youTube. Mostly as this does not entail cutting through the bones. Never liked the taste of bone dust. Grinders are cheap and we double grind all of our burger to remove any silver skin, missed fat etc... Processor then take the sausage cuts no questions asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.