Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Transporting skinned deer

Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yep once the price got over 100$ to get one processed I too figured it was time to learn my dang self. Paid a few hundred on a grinder and good set of butcher knives and watched you tube for instruction. Doesn't take long to start saving money.

I will skin and quarter before heading home. place quarters in a cooler, pour ice over with drain hole open. Then butcher after unpacking. It takes me a couple hours per deer but I get better with each one lol
Old 10-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

What all do you get done when you bring it in like that, and how much do they charge? I'm just curious.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first deer back in the 70's/80' cost $60. Got back 3-4 full shopping bags full. But at that price I earned to do it my self from a pictorial book. No internet back the. The book was called "After your deer is down" by Josef Fischel and Leonard Lee Rue, III I still have it and refer to it for recipes I wrote in from long ago.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 11-11-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: comp didn't type all the letters
Old 11-03-2016, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I always butcher my own deer and elk and make my own sausage. All the deer processors around here skin as part of the package. Most charge around $100 for skin and butcher (boneless) and either freezer wrap or food saver bags. Most include grinding the burger as part of the deal but charge extra if you want the grind turned into sausage.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

I don't get near the amount of meat by doing it myself but I clear more of the fat and linings than what the butcher does so the meat that I have is of higher quality. Tastes a ton better and most folks can't tell its deer after cooked.