Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Summer sausage

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default Summer sausage

So my question is. Once I have made summer sausage correctly and brought it to the right temp. If I vacuum seal it, would I be able to keep it in the cabinet at room temperature? Does it decrease how long it will last?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cut it into the portions size that you want and vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer and thaw one out when you want to eat some. It will spoil without refrigeration and it will not keep all that long in the fridge.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Spike

Thanks. That's what I'll do!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:58 AM
Spike

It depends on if you use a cure or not. I agree with Oldtimr, freeze it for long term, and refrigerate it for short term - don't keep it at room temp for extended periods - but I've had sausage with cure keep for weeks with no issue in the fridge. Not that it usually lasts that long...

I'm not recommending to keep it for weeks in the fridge, just saying it's possible to get decent fridge shelf life. And if you don't use a cure, definitely keep it to a minimum.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Spike

FDA says if cured it will keep for 6 weeks in fridge.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Proper care of the sausage makes or breaks the finished product. I freeze mine in a vacuum bag and portion accordingly. When I remove from the freezer i immediately remove item from the plastic to thaw in the refrigerator uncovered for 2 days then place item in a paper wrap while in the frog. This will keep the sausage dry and prevent premature mold. ^ week is a long time if the sausage has too much moisture it will start to turn on you with in 2 weeks. The longer you have the sausage in the frog wrapped in newspaper the stronger the tast and the firmer the sausage will be. I like mine after about 3-4 weeks in the frog. I place all my sausages in the crisper drawer and slide the selectore to dryer versus moister. Even with Jerky and sticks they need to be re-dried after they come out of the freezer. You can call 800-762-6689 if you have any questions about taking care of fixing sausages or jerky that didnt come out to perfection. We can help. Ask for Mike or Ben
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Spike

I think it depends on how much nitrates you put in the sausage. That said, I still vac pack and freeze mine too.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Spike

Default Ice Water Bath

An ice water bath as soon as summer sausage reaches temp will also make an unbelievable difference in the quality of your final product.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Raised in Alaska
An ice water bath as soon as summer sausage reaches temp will also make an unbelievable difference in the quality of your final product.
Check my 25 years worth of sausage making experience out on this page, it's called, "SAUSAGE FEST" it's a pretty good thread.