Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

goose breast?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default goose breast?

If I don't pluck the goose and just breast them out similar to what I do ducks they are very tough. What methods do others use to eliminate this issue? These are Canada geese and I am not over cooking them.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

When goose and duck is tough it is usually the result of over cooking. When I don't roast the whole plucked goose and just fillet the breasts I cut the breasts into strips about one inch wide or big cubes and marinade them in zesty Italian dressing for an hour or two. Then I put them on the grill and grill them til they are pink in the center. They are tender and delicious.

I also cut them into thin strips and then cut the strips to about 2 inches long and marinate them in soy sauce, minced fresh garlic, some fresh grated ginger root and a little dry sherry and some fresh ground pepper, then put the meat in and mix around and stick in the fridge for 2 to three hours, longer if you like. stir the mixture at least once an hour. Then cut bell pepper into pieces about one and a half to two inch squares and onion into the same size pieces and stir fry it, stir fry the onions and peppers first then the meat, the meat will get done very fast and again, do not over cook it, pour in the left over marinade and mix some corn starch, about a heaping teaspoon into about a third cup of cold water, mix into a slurry and stir into the pan with the meat and vegies and it will thicken. Put some white rice on your place and serve the goose pepper steak on top of the rice. I have made pepper steak with both goose breasts and duck breasts and most people do not know it isn't beef. Remember, the key is, do not over cook. I could not give amounts or measurements because I don't know how much you would make at one time. Make enough marinade to cover half the meat, when you stir it around make sure all the meat get the marinade. How much ginger and garlic you put in is up to your taste. Do not add salt because soy sauce is salty.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make your favourite stew but use cubed goose breasts. Low and slow.

Ron