Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
never made deer jerky need some help >

never made deer jerky need some help

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

never made deer jerky need some help

Old 12-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default never made deer jerky need some help

I have never made deer jerky. I'm in need of some guidance. i do have a food dehydrator which i plan on using.
i have gone online and found some recipes. i have seen some recipes that make use a cure and some don't. i have even talked to some people that put their steak in a salt bath.
when cutting your meat is it better to go with the grain or against

what do guys and gals recommend doing

thanks for any and all help
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the site ratrod. 1st i freeze the venison, then let it slightly thaw so you can cut it thinly into strips, i generally cut against the grain of the meat but if it makes a better looking cut go with the grain. Next put it in a bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours, with your favorite salt or sugar base cure, our fam loves a soy-sauce mix cure. Next i smoke it on my smoker, but if you don't have a smoker, add a little liquid smoke in your cure, then dehydrate it for a bit of smokey flavor.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default Tips on making deer jerky

When making jerky from slices of meat, I recommend cutting against the grain. This way, when you bite into the finished product, you actually CAN bite into it. If you cut with the grain, that dried muscle will be very difficult to tear with your teeth - though I actually do know one guy who likes his jerky like that..

If you plan on storing your jerky in a fridge, a cure isn't necessary. You can slice your meat and use almost any type of marinade to make a nice jerky. If you dehydrate the meat without using cure, it will turn brown. When you use cure, it will maintain some of the redness of the meat. Personally, I use cure, but if it's your first batch, experiment and see if you like your results. Just start with a small batch: you don't want 15 lbs of a jerky that you don't like. Whether you use cure or not, finish the jerky for 10 minutes in an oven at 275 - this will ensure the meat has been brought to a temperature to kill any pathogens.

I have an awesome recipe for a bourbon deer jerky here.

And you can get some more information on using cures here.

I have always had luck with the commercial jerky cure mixes you can get at any sporting goods store as well, but I find it's more fun to make my own marinade.

I also use a dehydrator for my jerky, so you should be good to go!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my favorite jerky marinade:

¼ Cup Liquid Smoke
½ Cup Worcestershire Sauce
½ Cup Teriyaki Sauce
1 TBS Red Pepper
1 TBS Tony’s
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 ½ TSP Onion Powder
½ TSP Garlic Powder
1 TBS Tabasco or Tiger Sauce
1 ½ TSP Mrs. Dash (Spicy)

For more heat, add 1 TBS of Red Pepper flakes.
Slice meat approx. 3/16" and marinate over night.
If the slices of meat are 3/16" or greater, it will take at least 8-10 hours in most dehydrators.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every batch of jerky I make is different. I tend to use whatever spices and salts I have on hand and I never measure anything I just toss in some of this and some of that until it looks right. Last batch I made I used some celery salt and some jalapeno salt with garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper etc... It turned out really good.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Every batch of jerky I make is different.
That's mostly how I do it, a little experimenting never hurts. I do keep an approximate record of my ingredients for future reference. The recipe I posted above is my favorite.
I like mine hot, but the wife can't take too much spice, so I dehydrate in batches. Mild for her and to get mine spicy, I sprinkle on a little Tony Chachere's and flaked Red Pepper as I'm putting it onto the racks!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Every batch of jerky I make is different. I tend to use whatever spices and salts I have on hand and I never measure anything I just toss in some of this and some of that until it looks right. Last batch I made I used some celery salt and some jalapeno salt with garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper etc... It turned out really good.
Thought you didn't like Ted Nugent Flags!!! That's his recipe for....well just about all meat!!! Whatever ya got in the spice rack,,,toss it in!!