Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Home Deer Processing tips

Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default Home Deer Processing tips

Hey all, I'm a newer bowhunter and this year I'm going to try to do all my deer processing in my dad's barn. just wondering if ya had any tips or tricks, or any links to a thread with some directions; trying to learn off youtube videos here,

all responses are welcome. thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

SHARP knife. It will make everything much, much easier on you. I suggest, as you said, watching some youtube videos to familiarize yourself with the process. Then just give it a try. It'll take some time, some muscle, maybe some frustration, your first few times. But as you learn it gets easier and you'll get more efficient. I enjoy the process, and I think you will too.
-Jake
Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Processing game is fun in my opinion. Make sure you have a good chair, table & bright light, as there is hair, silverskin ect to get off the meat. As far as the Barn make sure no kitty cats get to the deer, and that you have a clean surface to cut and wrap. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with gjersy the setup is a big part of it, got to have room to work. How are you going to age your deer, or are you? Get you a nice grinder to do your burgers, and a vacuum wrapper is nice..its a little more expensive but the meat will keep longer in my experience
Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Spike

Remove the loins, fore- and hindquarters, and neck. Place in bottom of large cooler and completely cover with ice. Leave the drain plug open so the bloody water can drain out, but keep plenty of ice on it. Let drain for at least one day.

I cut the loins into chops, bone out the hind quarters and make roasts or steaks, roasts out of the shoulders and neck, and keep a big bowl on the side for any bits and odd-sized chunks for chili meat. I don't grind the meat, just divide up the chunks in about 1lb packages. Then I make chili out of about 1/2 venison chunks and 1/2 hamburger meat.

If you run across a pretty roast, go ahead and package that up. You can always defrost it and cut it up later if you don't want it as a roast. Also, if you get tired, throw another bag of ice over the meat in the cooler and finish tomorrow.

Having the meat partially frozen or at least very cold makes it much easier to cut up. And sharp, sharp knives.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep everything as clean as possible. Trim the meat well, removing all the silver skin and fat. It will make the end product that much better. I started with a good sharp knife and a large cutting board. As time and money allows, a quality meat grinder is great for making burger and sausage. Have fun and enjoy your harvest!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Until you can afford a grinder, find a local butcher who will grind it for you. Until I bought mine I took it to a guy that charged $10. He didn't care if I had 10lbs or 100lbs. He'd say $10.
-Jake
Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

practice!
RR
Old 10-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's one start to finish.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a pretty good video. Long, but good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.