Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Anyone making "Deer Dogs"?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Anyone making "Deer Dogs"?

Hey folks.... The last two years I've taken deboned meat to a local butcher and having hot dogs made. Me, and all my family actually(Surprisingly?) really like them and prefer them over regular dogs.. They have a heavier, denser consistency to them..... The processor that does this does it very cheap in my opinion... I pay $2.25 per package and a pack has 10 hotdogs in it. However, I do everything else myself and was wondering if anybody had ever tried this? are there hotdog making kits out there? Any input? I like what I'm getting now and it's a decent price so I probably won't change but just wondered if anyone else was eating/making "deer dogs"
-Jake
Old 08-25-2015, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had some made a few years ago to try them. They were great I will do it again.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

We love venison hot dogs also, way better then the fatty cheap ones. The one butcher we go to slightly smokes them, thats my favorite. The other butcher must cook them in an oven or water, my wife likes them, so we alternate years. We make/stuff Brats, Italian and Polish sausage, never tried making Venison dogs, thought about it, it would be a little more work as you would have to grind meat finer and cook them, would be fun.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Ya, that's what I wondered about, I've done sausage, but the hot dogs would need to be ground allot smaller than what I've ever done.
-Jake
Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Never even thought about deer dogs. Might have to look into this & try it out! It sounds delicious! Do you guys go to your local butcher or could I just tell the deer processor I take my meat to to whip up some deer dogs with my order?! ha
Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I get mine made at my deer processor, he is a custom butcher. I doubt you would find a commercial butcher who sells meat to the public willing do do it because of the strict laws for commercial butchers regarding wild game and commercial meat. Because custom butchers do not sell meat, they charge to process your steer or hog they have less stringent laws regarding separation of game and domestic meat and less stringent clean up and disinfecting the shop after game has been in it.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I get mine made at my deer processor, he is a custom butcher. I doubt you would find a commercial butcher who sells meat to the public willing do do it because of the strict laws for commercial butchers regarding wild game and commercial meat. Because custom butchers do not sell meat, they charge to process your steer or hog they have less stringent laws regarding separation of game and domestic meat and less stringent clean up and disinfecting the shop after game has been in it.
Makes sense. Might ask my local processor if he's willing to make some.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Since we do all our butchering I at one time made hot dogs, no longer how ever as the kids have grown so burger can be used else where. Is a lot of work I feel, I much rather have a burger on a toasted bun.

Here is the spice mix I used.

1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Mix together the spices.
Remove the ground meat from the fridge dump in the spices, and pour in the corn syrup. The best way to mix everything together is with your hands. Then use the sausage stuffer on your grinder and with the finest blade regrind and stuff the casing.

Al
Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Since we do all our butchering I at one time made hot dogs, no longer how ever as the kids have grown so burger can be used else where. Is a lot of work I feel, I much rather have a burger on a toasted bun.

Here is the spice mix I used.

1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Mix together the spices.
Remove the ground meat from the fridge dump in the spices, and pour in the corn syrup. The best way to mix everything together is with your hands. Then use the sausage stuffer on your grinder and with the finest blade regrind and stuff the casing.

Al
What all 'tools' do you need to make them?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

A large bowl to mix the spices and burger in. Of course measuring tools for the spices. A grinder with a sausage stuffing attachment and sheep intestines to stuff the mix into.
Since the meat has been ground once it will be sticky and you will need to manually force a lot of the burger in the feed throat with the wood pusher that came with your grinder.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.