Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
How much should you pay to get the animal processed? >

How much should you pay to get the animal processed?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How much should you pay to get the animal processed?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alsation pretty much nailed it all for you. As a side note, in the rear quarters (Ham) you can visually see the separation of the muscle groups. Little white lines separating them. Run a blade into these spots and then you can run your fingers into them to separate out perfectly sized roasts. I skin mine differently. Basically I skin a deer from the tail down but I cheat. I have an electric wench hooked up to my shop ceiling and an anchor in the floor that I screw in a loop bolt. I hook a small cable up to that and affix it to a slit in the flap I made by cutting the skin from the rear section and away from the rear legs. I then slowly start the wench which pretty much lifts the deer right out of its skin TADAAAAA If it starts pulling at the meat I just run the knife lightly between skin and meat. Makes life MUCH easier. ESPECIALLY when it's cold.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the very least learn how to skin the animal and take the cuts you don't want ground then take the rest in boneless to be ground and packaged. I do all of mine myself but I know a lot of people that do it that way and it is pretty cost effective
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
At the very least learn how to skin the animal and take the cuts you don't want ground then take the rest in boneless to be ground and packaged. I do all of mine myself but I know a lot of people that do it that way and it is pretty cost effective
This is what I did for MANY years. My butcher charges by the piece. Shoulder is a certain price, ham, etc. I like them but it was getting pretty expensive. Plus they're 50 miles away! So this year I've decided to process my own. I got the vacuum sealer late last winter and my grinder just came today!:-). I plan to buy some chuck just to play/practice before the season. I'm really looking forward to it. I may be on the lookout for a cheap slicer for my jerky and steaks.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

aafadca , You can go out and buy 5/4" pc of poplar, router out what ever depth you prefer(one on each side of diff. thickness) coat with butcher block/mineral oil and Voila, you have a gauge for slicing jerky. just place the meat in, hold down with another board and slice through using a long knife. I used to do this yrs ago before buying a commercial slicer.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have to look at a site like this

...to find out how much processors are charging. I don't have a clue since I do the processing myself for over 30 years.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Spike

I'll keep that in mind. But I think i can pick up a decent slicer at a place for 25-35 dollars. If not then I may try your technique. Thanks
Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

We carry all the equipment anyone would need to process there own game and make sausages and jerky etc. I teach a couple class's a year if your near Omaha. If you need some direction check out our site and if you have questions you can call me 800 762 6689 ask for mike
Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Spike

$80 sounds about right from what I hear other people from my area pay. I have not had one processed for 20 years or so and like others have said not to difficult to do it yourself once you learn.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
I pay $80 dollars to have the deer cut into steaks, roasts, and burger. I have even gone all burger or even just plain de-boned. When you start buying their sausage and other conconctions they make, which are usually tasty, you start paying more. $7 for 3lb. sausages for example. With proper time and room, making your own jerkey and sausage is cheaper in the long run, as well as processing your own deer.
How much do you think it would be to get a moose processed? My family got picked for four this year. We like mostly burger.