Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Woodchuck

Old 06-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Spike

Default Woodchuck

I just one of the woodchucks in my backyard. I have a lot this year. What is everyone's favorite woodchuck recipes? This one is going to be cut into chunks and go into an omlete. Also thinking about making one or two into jerky.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

An omlet???? good luck. Don't forget to remove the glands in the armpit area and small of the back.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear they taste like squirrel? I was butchering one up one time and the wife threw such a fit that i fed it to the Airedales, so i never got to sample one.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Spike

I think it has a beefier (may not be a word) flavor than squirrel. The omlete came out well.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I gotta tell ya, I have eaten a whole lot of wildlife including groundhog. However, a groundhog omlet almost made me throw up in my mouth.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

did you pre cook the whistle pig before putting it in the omelet?

1. Country-Style Groundhog:
Ingredients:

1. 7 individual groundhogs

2. ½ cup flour

3. ¼ tsp. salt

4. ¼ tsp. pepper

5. ¼ tsp. soda

6. ¼ c. cooking oil

7. ½ tsp. sugar

Instructions:

Prepare groundhog by removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water. This will help remove the gamey flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and soda; use as a rub on the groundhog. Brown the groundhog in hot oil in the skillet, and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat, add 1 ½ cup water. Cover, simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; let cook for an additional 10 minutes.

2. Baked Ground Hog:

Ingredients:

1. Ground Hog

2. Spicewood branches

3. Salt, pepper to taste

4. Flour

5. Bacon grease or ½ cup shortening

Instructions:

Dress and cut the groundhog. Bring water to a boil on the stove, and then place the groundhog in boiling water. Break spicewood branches, and but into the pot. Continue boiling until groundhog is tender. Remove groundhog from pot. Season with salt and pepper, then roll in flour and bacon grease. Put in oven and bake until golden brown.

3. Groundhog and Sweet Potatoes:

Ingredients:

1. Groundhog

2. Cold water

3. Salt

4. Pepper

5. Sweet potatoes or white potatoes

6. Cornbread

Instructions:

Dress the groundhog as quickly as possible, and let soak for several hours in cold, salty water. After the meat is cold, you can trim any excess fat. Parboil to remove any remaining fat. Drain well. Place in oven at medium temperature with potatoes. Season the meat with salt and pepper and bake until brown

4. Oriental Groundhog:

Ingredients:

1.1 groundhog

2. 2 quarts water

3. ¼ cup salt

4. ½ cup soy sauce

5. 2 whole cloves garlic

6. 1 whole pepper

7. ¼ onion

8. 2 tablespoon mild chile powder

9. ¼ bunch whole parsley

10. 4 beef bouillon cubes

11. ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper

12. 1 cup beef or chicken broth

13. Teriyaki glaze

Instructions:

Cut meat into pieces and let soak in 1 quart water and salt for three hours. Transfer groundhog to 1 quart fresh water and soak 4 hours. Drain and dry meat. Place meat in a baking pan with broth, soy sauce, garlic cloves, pepper, onion, Chile powder, parsley, bullion cubes, and white pepper. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. Baste frequently and finish with teriyaki glaze.

5. Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream:

Ingredients:

1. Groundhog, skinned and cleaned

2. ½ cup vinegar

3. 1 tablespoon salt

4. 2 quarts water

5. 2 teaspoons soda

6. ½ cup flour

7. 1 teaspoon salt

8. ½ teaspoon Allspice

9. ½ cup bacon fat

10. 3 small wild onions

11. ½ cup water

12. 1 cup sour cream

Instructions:

Skin and clean the groundhog. Place groundhog in a pot with water, ½ cup of vinegar, and 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand overnight. Remove, wash, and pat dry with a damp cloth. In a large pot, combine 2 qt. water and 2 T soda, bring to a boil. Add groundhog. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the meat. Cut into serving pieces. Combine flour, salt, and allspice, coating the pieces of groundhog with the mixture.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt the bacon fat in a frying pan. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer browned meat to a greased 4 qt. casserole dish.

Place sliced onions on top of the meat, add water, cover, and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours until meat is tender.

Transfer meat to a heated platter to keep warm. Put a dish on top of the stove over medium heat and spoon in the sour cream, stirring constantly. Add the meat back in and simmer for 15 minutes.

Unlike coon, possum & coyote a Whistle pig is a vegetarian.

Al
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
did you pre cook the whistle pig before putting it in the omlete?

Al
Yes, I parboiled it. Figured the meat would take longer to cook than the egg. I don't take and chances with wild game. It is always cooked throughly.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I cooked a whistlepig last year and it was pretty nasty( No doubt, my fault...) I didn't know about removing glands. Maybe I'll give it another try.
-Jake