Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

cast iron guys

Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

If you have a propane cooker large enough to get it hot that is what I would do. Yes you want to season the inside and out. If you can do it with your cooker I would heat it at 350 (give or take) for about an hour. Then crank it up a little warmer for another half hour or so, then let it cool naturally.
If you have to do it over a fire I would build a fire and let it burn to get a hot bed of coals. Once the flames die down and you just have the coals I would oil it up and then put it over the coals. That might help keep the soot down and still get it hot.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally I would use bacon fat instead of pam
Old 11-29-2014, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

If you have just plain bacon grease that will also work. Using bacon itself can be a problem. Depending on how it is cured it has a high sugar content and will stick to a new skillet. I have seasoned several hundreds of skillets with Pam and it is quick and easy. Most oils will work but I can buy a can of Pam and do a ton of skillets. I season them one time and then start using them.