Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cherry Wood Fire Rib Eye Steak

Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Cherry Wood Fire Rib Eye Steak

http://youtu.be/IWHxMFe-JBA

I went to a local butcher today and got 4 nice size rib eyes. In a normal store these would cost $14-$16 a pound. This butcher is actually the slaughter house and they have a small retail operation out front. The steak is choice grade and is only $4.49 a pound.
This recipe for Rib Eyes also works well on New York cut steaks, Elk steaks, Venison and Moose steaks. You do not need to own a wood fired oven to make this recipe. These steaks can be cooked over lump charcoal or an open wood fire. It is a great recipe for camping.
I encourage you to try this recipe this summer.
Ingredients
4 Choice or Prime Rib Eye Steaks
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
1 pound of Mushrooms - sliced
1 Yellow Onion- chopped
Preparation
1. Season steaks generously with salt and pepper and place on a wire mesh cooling rack..
2. Build fire in oven.
3 Chop onions and slice mushrooms.
4. Cook onions and mushroom in the wood oven until all of the water is sweated out.
5. Pour olive oil into pan with mushrooms and onions and saute until caramelized.
6 Make a bed of white hot coals
7 Place the rack with the steaks on the coals.
8 Sear steak for two minutes turn over and sear other side for two more minutes.
9 Push coals to one side and place rack on oven floor. cook for another two minutes or until your desired temperature.
10 Let steaks rest for 10 minutes
11 Top steaks with mushroom and onion mixture and serve with a bold red wine!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

This sounds great.. Although you really do not have to have a wood oven as it can be cooked next to a decent campfire once you let the flames settle down. and use the coals for the heat.. I would place a small nail in a hardwood board to hold the steak with. If your campfire is surrounded by rocks lean the steak on the rocks so the grease will drip away from the fire.. This will work great if you have no oven and the rest of the stuff you can cook over the coals while waiting for the steak to get done.. Just be careful of the nail as it will be sharp.. Then you can turn the steak over and push it back down on the nail when needed..

I have a friend that does this with salmon and he uses a cedar board to put the salmon on..