HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Deep frying Goose....Look inside. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/28985-deep-frying-goose-look-inside.html)

Stump_MN_Hunter 04-24-2003 08:19 AM

Deep frying Goose....Look inside.

Anyone have any luck or know of some good recipes when deep frying goose in a turkey fryer type of setup?? If so, how long would you cook it per pound?? Thanks for the info.

jerseyhunter 04-24-2003 09:50 AM

RE: Deep frying Goose....Look inside.

Heres how I cook turkey it should be the same for goose. Heat oil 350 degrees for a Small bird under 13 lbs or 325 for Larger birds. Cook Small birds 3 min a lb, Larger birds 3 1/2 min a lb. I check the internal temp the last 10 min or so as to not over cook it. about 180 degrees. Hope this helps.

CAPT BRAD 04-25-2003 04:38 AM

RE: Deep frying Goose....Look inside.

Don' t waste your time or a goose frying it. Goose will tighting up so tight you can' t drive a nail in it. Turn into rubber. They make tire' s out of fried goose.

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. sprinkle with your faveriot seasonings. Add 6 TBS of butter laying right on the breast and bake for 40 minutes. Slice the breast as thin as you con. (it will be very rare). Put the pieces back into the baking dish into the oven for another 5-10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Good Luck. Capt Brad

RCH75 02-06-2020 05:53 AM

YES YES AND HECK YES You can deep fry goose!

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stump_MN_Hunter (Post 278465)
Anyone have any luck or know of some good recipes when deep frying goose in a turkey fryer type of setup?? If so, how long would you cook it per pound?? Thanks for the info.

Fry by temp, not time. Get your oil really hot for a good bark on the skin, like 350F, and pull your bird once it’s 165F in the middle of the breast.

Use turkey injection system to make it delicious.

It can be chewy if you cook too long or slow.

You can actually save the skin for mounting by cutting open the chest and pulling out the bird from within and fry the whole bird. It’s an extra serving or two over just cutting out the breast.

Oldtimr 02-06-2020 07:40 AM

I sincerely doubt that deep fried Canada goose would be good do to the lack of fat on wild geese, I suspect it would be as dry as a popcorn fart.

archeryrob 02-07-2020 02:15 AM

I never liked goose cooked much. Tried smoking one and the dog ate well!

I make the breasts into Pastrami and we eat it like finger food or shred it tinto scrambled eggs. I have done it moist and dry as pastrami and like it drier. This is the only way I make goose any more. Curing it chnaging it more than any other meat I have ever seen. A lot of people are going this now. I got farmers that wouldn't touch goose and eat this if I give it to them.

I'd post picks but you'll have to click the link. The site isn't letting my post the URL's for the pics off my blog.

Bocajnala 02-07-2020 04:28 PM

That does look good Rob. Nice detail in that post as well.

-Jake

rogerstv 02-10-2020 09:27 AM

You can successfully deep fry goose meat in pieces. I've never tried a whole goose.

See my recipe a couple threads below regarding deep fried goose with butter sauce.

I have no idea how long to fry it. I use sight and texture to determine when to remove. Cut meat into two-bite sized pieces. Small pieces are susceptible to overcooking. I like the meat to be medium "doneness".