Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers >

Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers

Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers

You can take a normal size prescription bottle, put in your instant coffee, a packet of sweetener and then fill the rest with a powdered cream substitute. Ready in a flash. During hunting season I make up several so I am not rushed.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers

Thats a great Idea.

For making camp coffee I buy the filter packs that are made for drip coffee makers. I use a regular stovetop perculator and remove the guts and Drop two filter packs in and bring the water to a boil. In a couple of minutes you have a great pot of coffee with no grounds to deal with.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Instant coffee? [:'(]

I don't think I've ever hunted anywhere that there wasn't a nearby source of decent coffee, and the few times that I didn't feel like going for some I took along a quart thermos, that's about all I'd want to pee later.

Instant coffee? [&:]
Only in Joisie...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice tip Jersey.

Camp coffee we just use a standard perkulator and put a filter in it works great.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM

I still make cowboy coffee. I use a coffee pot sometimes unless I am hunting alone or just with one other person. Then I just use a small sauce pan of about 2 pints. Boil the water, throw in exactly a half a handful of coffee plus 2 smidgeons, boil for 3 seconds, then remove from the fire. if you cover the pan, it will work better. Let set for 4 minutes and then pour 1/4 cup of cold water and the grounds will settle. If the pot has a bail, then swing the pot around with your arm as if you were winding up for a fast pitch soft ball throw. This setlles the grouds too and alarms everone in camp, which is fun.
Marco
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Blech!

I can't imagine drinking instant while hunting. It ruins the experience for me. I've gotta have it boiled over a fire to feel right.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great tip...
Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Spike

Love it ! When I would hike, I would only bring in the instant "tea bags" to save weight. Now I can finally get my "sweet and light" like I have back home. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

A pam full of coffee, 2 eggs, water, and a steel coffee can over a camp fire. = Coffee fit for a king..
That's how you make coffee whether you are out on a lake fishing and heading to shore for a lunch or what ever. The back woods you can still find a coffee shop somewheres but it's nothing like a good cup right from your camp fire.. You simply smash the egss shells and all then get some coffee in the palm of your hand. Make like a fist and add that as well as water and heat up. The raw eggs and shells with collect the coffe grounds for you. You can then either scoop them out when done or just be carefull pooring it.. No such thing as instant coffee for me..
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM

I carry a french press. If you like good coffee, boil the water, pour the grounds in the pot cap it, wait 3 minutes then push the plunger down. Grounds trapped at the bottom coffee above. They make thermal cups that are a press too. film canisters work well for all the crap we like to pour in.

Quick Reply: Coffee Tip for Campers or Travellers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.