Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Meat Grinder

Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Meat Grinder

I recently inherited an electric meat grinder. It's a chefs mark? Never heard of it and can't find anything about it on the internet. I did find one that looks very close made by Villaware. Not an expensive one at any rate I know that. It will probably work fine for what I want though.

Anyway, I have no experience with meat grinding I have always let my processor do it for me. What do I need for ground deer meat? I know they mix it with something because they ask me if I want beef or pork, I am assuming it is some sort of fat or something. I forget what they call it.

My question is what is it, and how do I get it?

And how does this grinder work? Do I just cut the meat up in chunks and stick it in there, or is there more to than that?

Paul
Old 08-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Meat Grinder

There is a little more to it. The knife must be sharp and the meat cold or it will just smear and you get a meat paste instead of ground meat.First off you will probably at some time put the knife in backwards and that will also cause smearing. take off the retaining ring, it should unscrew, you should see a plate with holes. next is the knife it is on the square shaft of the auger. it should mate flat against the plate. the auger can come out now it should have a flat or squareend that mates with the motor unit. All these pieces must be cleaned before and after using. re-assemble,Cut meat so it fits down the throat and push down with the stomper.it should grind through without any force . you just need to push the meat into the auger and let the machine do the work the meat needs to be very cold, I grind mine semi frozen. to determine what size you have measure the diamiter of the plate. You can buy new plates and knives once you know what size your grinder is. they start at 6,8,10,12,22,32 . If you are going to do sausage you probably will want to upgrade to a #22 and at least 1 hp. sausage stuffers are also a next step.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

I think what your asking Paul is do they mix with fat? Yes, sausage is with pork fat generaly, and ground meat is mixed with beef fat. beef is about 20% pork fat is a little more most times. You can get all fats from your local store or butcher shop.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys, and thanks for the tips Bit Guy my grinder didn't come with any instructions so that will help me out quit a bit.

Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Guy01
I'd laugh at that statement, about the blades being in backwards. If I didn't doit the second time I used my grinder. Took about 20mins to figure it out [8D].

Paul some people use pork picnic for there fat content. A buddy used bacon peices for his elk last year, pretty darn good.

For giigles get yourself a chuck roast use a medium grind make patties throw them on the grill. Makes and awsome burger
Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM

I might try that, we just had burgers last night and I added some Baby Rays BBQ and some onion and garlic seasoning made for fried potatoes. MMMMMM, they turned out awesome. I have some frozen venison I might try grinding up though. I never thought about mixing it with bacon. I think I will give that a try I love bacon.

Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the semi frozen idea as well....

Paul,

Here is how I do it..
a. Cut silver skin off of the meat..
b. Cut in chicken tender sized chunks or strips..
c. Turn on grinder..
d. Grind meat..{ If no meat comes out after awhile..shut off and get garbage out of the grinder} and start up again..

I then mix 3/4 venison with 1/4 reg. fatty sausage..I add plenty of salt, sage and hot pepper flakes and make breakfast sausage..I had some this morning..very good..
I usually knead the fatty sausage with hte venison after it;s ground..by hand..Then I grind it all one more time.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 AM

I wondered how you mixed it, you just double grind it, makes sense I guess.

Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cube all my meat and fat ,mix in a tub and grind once, twice if I'm making sausage. Also depends on the whole size and personel preferance. If your making burger grind once and cook one up. If you want a finer texture grind it again.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I wondered how you mixed it, you just double grind it, makes sense I guess.

Paul

Hey Paul..it's not really necessary to regrind but i simply do it to mix the spices and herbs better..I generally make about 10 pounds at a time..Here's my cheap 60.00 Walmart Grinder..

Quick Reply: Meat Grinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.