HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   How do you roast a whole deer hind quarter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/221550-how-do-you-roast-whole-deer-hind-quarter.html)

lovethebigguns 12-08-2007 08:04 AM

How do you roast a whole deer hind quarter?

I'm looking to feed a group of people and I'd love to do it by roasting a hind quarter from a young doe I got this year.

Can anybody tell me how?

THANKS!

highlonesome 12-08-2007 09:38 AM

RE: How do you roast a whole deer hind quarter?

Here is how I do it

Get a roasting pan big enough to hold the quarter. Put a generous amount of olive oil in the bottom.
season the meat however you like. (I use salt pepper and paparika, or Tony Chatcheries)
Place in oven uncovered @ 450 degrees for around 45 min or untill you see meat browned nicely.
remove from oven and slather liberaly with Italian dressing.
Place back in oven covered @ 250 degrees and cook for 4-5 hours
good vittles

flips2 12-09-2007 05:36 AM

This is what we used to do in college.

Take the hindquarter and marinade it in buttermilk and seasoning ( we used italian, montreal steak, and tenderizer). Try to marinate for atleast 24 hours but longer is not bad because the milk starts to break down the meat and makes it tender. once marinated get the grill good and hot,turn down to med-low heat, then put the hindquarter on the grill. Every 15-20 minutes turn over the meat and baste with the remaining marinade. depending on the size of the hindquarter it will take anywhere from 3-4 hours to cook. The outside will be charred a little bit but it adds a nice crunchiness to the meat but the inner meat will be nice a moist. You can use a meat thermometer to check to your liking.

ZR 900 12-10-2007 08:27 AM

We do front shoulders this way so maybe it would work....Throw it in a pan. Coat it liberally with French Onion soup mix. Add Veggies....carrots, onions, red spuds. Garlic salt and pepper over the top. 350 degrees for several hours. Be careful to not let the juice escape. If it dries out, add water.

Big Guy01 12-10-2007 10:15 AM

put the whole leg in a brine solution at least overnight or better yet 2-3 days and keep in the fridge
. I use a mixture of
1 cup coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar
20 cups water
1 TBS pickling spice
Next cook the leg in a roaster with some onions,carrots and potatoes.
Or the best is to put the whole leg in a smoker and smoke it until done with lots of Maple wood smoke.

DeerWhisperer 12-10-2007 03:13 PM

I did it this way once, it was really good. Get a very large cooking bag and a couple packages of the mccormiks roast seasoning. Put hind quarter in the bag, mix seasonings with water and add to bag and cook until tender. You can do it many ways, but this way was very good.

throwingStarr 12-10-2007 06:56 PM

i wouldn't really recommend a brine solution as to you may end up with a very salty outcome if your not careful. You may have touse anoversize aluminum pan or whatever will hold the hind quarter ,,before you start anything, make sure the meat fits the pan.

.. Use a couple paks onion soup mix (enough water to bring up the sides of the pan to about 1/4 inch,,no more),,cut carrots,,small peeled,,onions,,potatoes. Get a digi thermometer, insert,, cover roast,
cook to desired doneness.

Stainless 12-11-2007 08:29 PM

I've smoked quite a few hams but never cooked one in the oven. Be pretty much the same but without the smoke and more heat.

The way I do it is soak the ham in an oven bag filled with a bottle or two of Itatlian Dressing. Be sure and poke holes in the ham before putting it in the bag. Once you fill the bag with the dressing, tie the bag shut and stick it in the fridge and turn it once a day for three days. I would do three days for sure to make sure it soaks it up. When your ready to cook, I just put it in an aluminum turkey pan without the juices from the bag and then toothpick bacon over the top of the ham. It takes about 4 hours in the smoker to get it to 160.F internal temp. When your done, you can't even tell it was deer meat.