Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Wild turkey?????

Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wild turkey?????

Ok guys this is really my 1st year turkey hunting and I have had pretty good luck, I have 3 turkey in the freezer now.. My question is whats the best way to cook it? I have heard to fry it.. But what do you bread it with? Sorry I am new to the whole cooking thing
Old 04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wild turkey?????

All the turkeys that I have had we cooked them just like we woulda store bought turkey and they have always been very good. We use the cooking bags and just follow the directions.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did you clean them?
If you plucked them you can do it just like a butterball in the oven, or you can buy a turkey fryerthat will come with recipes.
I usually skin them out, I use the dark meat for soups and such, but I fry the breast. I just cut the white meat into strips and drench in fish crisp, then pan fry, just like a shore lunch.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just breasted them out, because I didn't know if any of the other meat was good or not
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll usually skin out the whole bird, and I like to place mine in a Cajun Cooker they call it. Its really just a barbaque smoker. You use charcoal, a pan of water, and I throw smoking chips on the charcoal. Takes about 3-4hrs to cook a bird. But I tell you what its by far the best way I've ever eatten a wild turkey. It comes out so moist & tasty I can't stop eatting it once I start.
I've had the turkey fryer method, didn't really do much for me. It was good, but just didn't see where deep frying turkey meat was so awesome. I've had it injected w/ different marinades as well. Pan fried, baked, breaded. You name it I've tried it. Cajun Smoke one its the only way to go!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cooked mine last year in an oven bag, was pretty amazing for being so simple!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

The legs on a Wild turkey can be real tough. I prefer to seperate the breasts and leg meat. The breast meat is cooked like domestic birds , but the legs and thighs are better suited to grinding or stewing seperatly. Here's a few of my favorites.

WILD TURKEY CHILI
3 pounds ground wild turkey Legs and thighs are best.
2 cups chopped celery
6 medium onions chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. salt
2 (16-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
4 cups tomato juice
2 (20-ounce) cans pinto beans undrained

In a large pot, brown turkey. Add celery, and next 10 ingredients in order listed, Simmer for 60 minutes. Add pinto beans, and simmer an additional 60 minutes. Yield 8 to 10 servings

CAJUN STYLE WILD TURKEY MEATLOAF

1 1/2 pounds ground wild turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 egg (beaten to blend)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
Creole mustard or other spicy mustard
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place turkey mixture in 9x5-inch nonstick loaf pan. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Spread top with mustard. Bake uncovered another 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into slices.

Put leftovers on onion rolls with lettuce and tomato for a great sandwich

Turkey Pot Pie
2 turkey legs and thighs
3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 can mushrooms
Salt
Pepper
½ stick margarine
3 Tbs. Flour
Worcestershire sauce
Pie crust
Boil legs and thighs, 2 celery stalks, 1 onion, salt, pepper, bouillon, water until tender. Remove from broth and strip meat from bones, dice into large pieces. Strain and reserve 3 cups of broth. Sauté remaining onion and celery and reserve. Melt the margarine slowly blend in flour. Bring broth to a boil and add flour blend stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat, add Worcestershire and sautéed onion, celery and mushrooms. Put turkey meat into a baking dish, pour thickened broth over top. Roll out piecrust and cover baking dish. Crimp edges to seal. Bake at 450 until pastry is golden brown.

Turkey fingers
Turkey Breast
Cooking oil
Salt
Pepper
Milk
1 cup Flour
Marinate turkey breast in milk for several hours or overnight. Mix flour with salt and pepper set aside. Heat oil in a frying pan. Cut breast into fingers and roll in the flour, salt and pepper. Fry until golden brown.
Simple but very tasty.

Turkey Breast and Rice Dinner
To prepare breast for oven:
1 (4lb) turkey breast, bone-in
1 TB flour
1 large cooking bag
1 C. celery, chopped
¼ C. chopped bok choy
2 TB water chestnuts, sliced
½ geen apple, chopped
1/8 tsp curry powder
½ C. Chardonnay
Rinse turkey breast and pat dry. Place 1 TB flour into cooking bag and add breast.
Slice and chop vegetables and mix in curry powder; then put into bag on top of turkey; add wine. Close bag and seal; make 6, ½ inch slits, toward top of bag.
Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour…….or until turkey internal temperature is 170 degrees.
To prepare rice:
2 C. cooked rice
1 banana pepper, julienned
2 baby carrots, julienned
½ green apple, chopped
1/3 C. shallots, julienned
1/8 tsp saffron
1/3 C. peanuts, chopped finely
1/3 C. seasoned croutons, crushed
6 TB Chardonnay
1 tsp Kansas City Style chicken seasoning
In a heavy, hot skillet saute banana pepper, carrots, apple, shallots and saffron with 4 TB wine, about 3 minutes Stir constantly. Add seasoning.
Spray an 8x8 cooking dish with vegetable spray. Put rice into dish and add vegetables; then sprinkle on peanuts and croutons. Over all, pour another 2 TB wine and cover.
Bake at 350 degrees, 20 minutes. (Can be put into oven during last minutes that breast is baking)
To serve: Save the juice from the turkey and puree in blender to use as gravy. (Rice will be dry) Place slices of turkey on plate with a spoonful of rice and add gravy over all. Serve with a tomato and argula salad, topped with Italian dressing and Basil/Tomato Feta cheese.

Turkey Cordon Bleu
2 turkey breasts
4 slices boiled ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 stick butter
½ cup flour
4 oz. Cream cheese
8 oz. Cheese whiz
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup milk
Cut breasts into two pieces and pound flat with a meat hammer. Lay a slice of ham then a slice of Swiss cheese on each piece of breast. Roll each piece into a log and secure with toothpicks. Dip rolls in milk then into the flour. Melt butter in a skillet and brown for about 10 minutes. Remove rolls to a glass baking dish and place in a preheated oven at 300 F for 35 minutes. While the rolls are baking in a pot melt cheese whiz and cream cheese on medium heat. When all the cheese is melted add the sour cream and stir occasionally. When the rolls are done remove toothpicks and pour the cheese mixture on top.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have smoked a few with an electric smoke.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

the legs and thighs we slow cook in a crock pot, and pull the meat off the bone, we use it for stews, chilli, cassaroles, pot pies are really good too. But for the breast, I cut into strips about 1 inch and marinate in Italian dressing for about 6 hours, remove, and wrap bacon around the strips, and secure with tooth pics, and grill on the grill, you can baste with a sweet barbque sause if you like. I've tried about everyway you can with wild turkey, and I like it this way the best. My kids love it! good luck.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

This is what i do...[/align][/align]Turkey Breast on a Skewer[/align][/align]1 or 2 wild turkey breasts[/align]Bacon[/align]Lemon garlic marinade[/align][/align]Cut meat into bite size morsels[/align]Marinade the turkey overnight[/align]Wrap in bacon and place meat on skewer [/align]Cook on grill[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: Wild turkey?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.