Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 What do I do with this Pheasant? >

What do I do with this Pheasant?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What do I do with this Pheasant?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Spike

Default What do I do with this Pheasant?

I went pheasant hunting for the first time and had a great time. Now I have a few pheasant in the freezer and Im not sure what to do with them. Im guessing I could roast them like chicken with some potatoes and carrots. What else would you recommend?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What do I do with this Pheasant?

A nice glaze of sweet and sour sauce is always a welcome addition, so is placing cloves of garlic in the cavity while the bird is roasting to infuse the meat with that delightful flavor. Have you ever tried an injection baster? I like to inject poultry of any kind with seasoned real unsalted butter, any herbs or spices suitable for chicken wil work, don't forget to filter the butter through some cloth efore putting it into the syringe. Beer can chicken will also work for pheasant and keeps the meat from drying out while roasting.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't want to roast them. What I do is cut the breasts off and use like you would a chicken breast and the thighs and legs I de-bone and when I get enough I grind up for tacos or chilie.
Grilled Pheasant breast makes for a nice fahitas.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

unclemeat,

check out this link... http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/Pheasant/recipes.htm
Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Spike

Great link. Thanks for the feedback, I guess Ill have to give it a try and see what happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Another good thing to do is put them in a crock pot with some onions, mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup. Then just let them simmer for several hours. The pheasant comes out falling off the bone, and the sauce makes a great gravy.

Really tasty.

GSG
Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Spike

There grainy, there dry, and there tough. But for some reason i love eating em.

I like em in the crock pot with the tators and carrots, i like em baked with a bed of rice and veggies, there even pretty good with dumplins. But my all time favorite is to take some and run them thru the grinder cooked with some seasing and turn into like a chicken salad. Throw some of that between two slices of bread and man you got a good sandwich.

Its tender, its not dry, and its not grainy, and man its good.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

hey i love pheastent meat its almost as good as hunting them but nothing beats that. but what i like to do is debone the breast and let them set in a zesty italian salad dressing and then bake them in the oven in the dressing for 25 min on 350 deg makes for some good tender eating and now all you need is to fix ya up a side dish and a cold beer!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: cowboyman13

There grainy, there dry, and there tough. But for some reason i love eating em.
Mine used to be tough and dry, but not any more. I fry mine in olive oil. Breast them out, dip in egg, coat with crushed crackers seasoned to choice and fry them. DON'T OVERCOOK. That is what makes them tough.

Again, just so you heard. DON'T OVERCOOK!!!!!!!!!

Dang it, now my mouth is watering.

Edit: Since the editor didn't like the word I used, just use crushed saltines or Ritz or whatever.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Spike

these are some good ideas. here is another try pheasant catchatory. its one of my fav. enjoy...

Quick Reply: What do I do with this Pheasant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.