Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

No game tastes Gamey!

Old 01-14-2002, 08:05 PM

Default No game tastes Gamey!

I am interested in other opinions on this matter. Elk meat does not taste like Blacktail, which does not taste like Mule deer, which does not taste like Bighorn etc, etc, etc.Salmon does not taste like ling cod.I think so many people have eaten only beef, pork and chicken all their lives and if something tastes unlike what they are conditioned to it seems gamey to them! As I process all of my own meat and fish, and rarely purchase any additional meat, my family does not use the term gamey. Some times, on a big old animal they will use the term tough , or stringy, but the crock pot or meat grinder will usually cure that.
Anyhow, what is the popular opinion on this term?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:20 PM

Default RE: No game tastes Gamey!

I use the term gamey. I haven't eaten much wild game since my dad doesn't hunt. I started hunting when I was around 12 with one of my dad's friends. I am close to 18 now. We eat my deer but use a lot of spices and what not to get rid of the foreign taste. I wish I had more of a taste for deer meat but I just haven't eaten it enough. Just like you said I have eaten beef,pork, and chicken all my life so wild game tastes different when in fact it is probably the better tasting meat.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:57 PM

I have noticed some of the game I harvist on one of my plots is more "gamey" than others. This is because of there food sources. I have found a cure for the problem. I soak my meat from this land in milk or wine the night before I cook it, this gets rid of that gameyness. It is true some meat from the same kind of animal can have a more wild taste caused from what it has been feeding on.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me each game animal has its own taste and no two are exactly alike . That said so do farm animals . I believe most people think its gamey tasting by where it came from rather than the way it tastes .