Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer roast

Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Default deer roast

got any good resapes for roast

marinades or such?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer roast

I use a slow cooker with Coke, ketchup and onion soup mix.
Use 8 tablespoons of ketchup per 12 oz. of Coke and 1
package of onoin soup mix. Put enough liquid to just cover
the meat. Cook on low for several hours.(Untill cooked like you
like it). Meat should be falling apart at this point. At this point
I turn the heat to high to cook down some of the liquid and
thicken the gravy.

I know it sounds strange but the taste is outstanding.
I think you will be suprised. I know I was.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM

sweet thanks for the tip have to try it tomarrow
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Venison roast is so simple and so good. I save all the shoulders from all my deer. Use a crock pot, or dutch oven, or other covered pot. Cut up potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic. Put the veggies in first. Sprinkle seasoning salt all over the roast, put it in on top of the veggies, add a small amount of liquid, maybe a cup of beer, wine, or just water. Cook very slowly. Just get it simmering, and leave it for a few hours (crock pot maybe 8 hours). Don't worry about it drying out, because the veggies produce a lot of moisture when cooked slow like that.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I cook my roasts in the oven at 160 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 140 -145. I set a few slices of bacon on top and keep them ther with a few toothpicks. I like wortshesire saue and beer for a marinade with salt and peper rubbed on the outside.

It is a good idea to use a meat thermometer with venison to make sure that it dosent overcook and become tough. Thats the worst thing that can happen.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM

Kosher salt
Rosemary
bottle beer
soy sauce
1 apple diced
pepper
loads of minced garlic
bacon grease
Deer Roast

Coat roast liberally with kosher salt, rosemary and garlic.Sear roastina dutch oven (orpan that cango into the oven that has a lid)in bacon grease on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add about half of the beer and scrap the fond from the bottom of the pan as the beer cooks down. Add 1/2 the apple. Cook down adding more beer. Return roast to pan and add rest of apple to top. Cover and bake at 350 until extremely tender (I tend to cook it at least 2 hours). Remove roast from oven and tranfer roast to a plate. Cook liquids down on stove using the same pan squashing apples to form a "jelly gravy". Slice meat and spoon over "jelly gravy". this can also be done in the crock pot.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife makes a great Italian venison (beef). Just the recipe in her betty crocker cook book
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Virtually any recipe for a slow cooked bottom round roast can be applied to venison , slow high moisture cooking at a lower temperature is the key , the rest is all prep and seasoning .

Here's a fave of mine:

Cover roast in milk in a covered bowl in the fridge overnight to remove blood and any gamey taste . Smoking the roast with apple chips for 1 hour before roasting adds great flavor , for gorgeous color and an interesting flavor add a couple of tablespoons of loose black tea(no kidding) to the chip pouch . If you don't have a smoker you can concoct one very easily , just wrap the chips in foil and put them and the roast into a gas or charcoal grill on very low . If the gas grill is a dual burner turn off the burner under the meat and put the chip pouch over the lit burner , with charcoal move the coals to one side and keep the meat on the other . Smoke until the chips are exhausted or until the desired degree of smoking is achieved . Put the roast in a covered roaster on a bed of baby carrots and surround and cover it with slices of bell pepper , onion , celery , and a 1 lb. bag of frozen peas . Add 1 15 oz can of beef broth blended with the seasonings of your choice and cover . Place into the center of a preheated 275 degree oven and cook until the center of the roast is 140-160 degrees on a meat thermometer , depending on how rare you like the center . I also inject the roast with seasoned real unsalted butter before roasting sometimes , this ensures a juicy and very flavorful roast . My wife makes her venison stew by this method , she just cuts the venison into small chunks . It gets rave reviews , even from people who hate wild game .
Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

A couple of onions sliced up, a few potatoes peeled and left hole or halved ( depending on size ) some carrots peeled and cut in thirds, and a couple cans of mushroom soup. Put the roast in a roaster and surround the roast with the veggies, cover with mushroom soup. Then cover with tin foil and roast in the oven at 350% until done to your liking. ( never had a tough one )
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I do, and I'm going to cook using this recipe tomorrow night!

3 LBS venison roast
6 juniper berries
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons of oil
4 tablespoons of flour
4 tablespoons of butter

Thaw out the venison roast. Remove any silverskin not yet removed. Crush the juniper berries. Rub the crused juniper berries and other seasonings listed above on the roast. Place in a zip-lock back and refrigerate over night. You could also put this rub on the meat just before roasting and I suspect it would come out just as well, also, but I have always put the rub on the night before.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil in a heavy oven-proof casserole and heat on the stovetop on high heat. Brown the roast on all sides. Add about 2 cups of water. Bring the water to the boil. Cover the casserole and place in the oven. Cook for 3 hours in the oven, adjusting the heat so the liquid just boils or simmers gently. Add more liquid as needed. Every thirty minutes baste the roast with the liquid and also turn the roast over. Towards the end of the 3 hour cooking interval let the liquid begin to diminish in volume (don't replace the water, but don't let it completely evaporate).

Melt the butter, mix in the flour, cook the flour in the butter over medium heat, stirring, about 5 minutes, then turn off.

Remove the roast to a cutting board. Boil the liquid down, if necessary, to concentrate its flavor. Use a wooden spoon to rub the spatters down into the liquids. Slowly add some of the butter/flour mixture to the liquid, stirring, to thicken the gravy. When the thickness pleases you, stop and adjust the salt and pepper. If it is too salty, add more water.

This is a simple recipe and produces a pleasing, tender roast.

Quick Reply: deer roast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.