Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Steaks

Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Deer Steaks

All the butchers I know of cut their deer steaks into thin 1/2" thick steaks. I like big juicy steaks. What is wrong with cutting them 1" to 1.5" thick and cooking them just like beef? Is there a reason why they make them so thin?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Steaks

I cut my own and I make them thick then wrap them in a slice of bacon and grill. tasty! I think they cut them thin so it looks like your getting a lot more meat, really just wrapping paper. They put 2 steaks to a package so you get say 10 packages if they cut them thick you get only 4 or 5 packages. People wouldthink they have been ripped off. A lot think they get a freezer full of meat from a deer . In reality you should get about 40 pounds of boneless meat from an average deer.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM

if you take your deer to a butcher (I don't ) just ask to have it cut thicker. any reputable butcher will cut it at whatever thickness you request. Before I started to butcher my own deer I used to ask it to be cut 3/4 - 1 inch
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Now, I love venison, but it aint exactly a filet mignon. The thicker steaks are generally tougher than than a thinner steak of the same cut. I've never had a thick juicy deer steak, but if you have please gimme the recipe.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Now, I love venison, but it aint exactly a filet mignon. The thicker steaks are generally tougher than than a thinner steak of the same cut. I've never had a thick juicy deer steak, but if you have please gimme the recipe.
I absolutely have! To have a juicy deer steak it MUST be thick. I fry mine in lots of real butter. It adds to the flavor. Season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper before putting it in the pan.

You need to get the pan HOT. Depending on the type of pan you have, set the stove to between medium low and medium high. Once the pan is hot, add your butter and let it melt. Then, add your meat. What you want to do itsear the outside of the meat, just until it has a nice well-done look to it, usuallyabout a minute orso.Flip it over and do the same to the other side. Once the second side has been seared, turn the stove to medium, or a bit lower if you have a thin pan, and let the meat cook to your desired degree of doneness, usually about 8 minutes for me. Turn the stove off, move the pan off the burnerand let the meat rest for a couple of minutes. This is a MUST. What this does is allow the meat to reabsorbit's juices, which in turn makes for a nice juicy steak! Have you ever cut into a steak only to have juices running all over your plate? That's because it wasn't allowed to rest and reabsorb it's juices.

Good luck and good eating!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

My butcher used to cut them thin till I told him to start making them about an inch thick. Too easy to overcook them when they are thin.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I just cooked some the other night. Try this, it's really easy.

Marinade in:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning (I used McCormicks steak seasoning also)

I cooked them on the grill and it was great! I might add some garlic to it next time.

You may need to double these ingredients depending on how much steak you are using.

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

uhhhh...*drool drool....slobber drool*
Old 10-18-2006, 04:06 PM

Them are some tasty lookin steaks!

Quick Reply: Deer Steaks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.