Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

vension burgers

Old 02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
bigcountry

Default vension burgers

I grind my own meat. I have yet to make good venison burgers. They just won't hold together. Think I ought to use a bigger grind plate for sausage? I do the egg thing but that makes em into cakes. I put some bacon fat in the pan. Still don't like it.

Not big into mixing with beef.

Somebodies got to have some tips.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Default RE: vension burgers

I grind all my own burger also , (about 250lbs.) this year.we add a little beef fat with the venison meat.if you don't they will crumble and fall apart.

when we get it ground, we add chopped onion,a few saltine crackers, one egg, two tea spoons red wine, salt , pepper , a dash of lowyers seasoning. mix well , and put in pan or on grill.

can't beat them.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good Tree Climber.
I made burger last night. My were straight venison and held together. I was concerend but when I let them brown on one side they flipped very well. I will try your recipe the next time though.
Thanks,
Chuck7
Old 02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
bigcountry

I never could figure out how to add beef fat in a consistent manner. I thought about doing a real course grind and then adding that ground out beef fat you can get and mixing by hand and then regrinding.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 PM

my butcher adds pork to mine , keeps the burger together quite well.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Big COuntry,
I ground mine using the coarses blade I got. I try to make the patties a little bigger than 1/4 pounders. I have my oil all ready in the cast iron getting hot. I slide the raw burger off the metal spatula unto the hot oil.{ NOt too much oil ,just wetting th ebottom}After the burger is brown I cut the heat down to medium and cover with metal lid. When the one side is brown the burger will stay together. I hate cutting my meat with other products. I like 100% pure venison. I carefully flip over and cover with lid. When the burder is done I slip it on a roll with a slice of tomato ,lettuce and oinions. I ate 3 a few days a go. Awesome man. Of course I also melted a piece of cheese on each one. Those served with Beans ,molasses and bacon was a meal fit for a King's kid.
Chuck7
Old 02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

never could figure out how to add beef fat in a consistent manner. I thought about doing a real course grind and then adding that ground out beef fat you can get and mixing by hand and then regrinding.
I just cube my deer, then cut smaller cubes of fat, mix by hand and then grind. You can put it threw twice if you want it really mixed well. but once is enough. make 2 burgers ans see whitch way is best for you.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:17 PM
bigcountry

Thanks guys. I usually am not too careful in sizing of deer meat to be ground. Might have to make more uniform from now on.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mix 5-10% cheap burger or sausage to venison before I freeze it up just to hold it all together when I make burgers or venison meat loaf.

I love venison burgers and venison loaf!

I also mix in 1 egg.The single biggest thing that has improved my burgers is a Burger Press.I bought a cheapy plastic one couple yrs ago(less than $10).Its ribbed for a better release of meat after pressed.You can press a square or round burger or sausage pattys and then freeze em up.

It also prevents over working the meat when your trying to mould that perfect burger by hand,which can make a tough burger no matter how you cook it.Coat the press with some lite oil place meat in press and squeeze the hell outa of it. Peel it out into hot pan or grille with a spoon.

Use the thinnest spatchula you can lay your hands on.I bought 3 of these thin ones just for flippin burgers,eggs and pancakes.The thin ones are very flexible and prevent breakin up meat when sliding spatchula under burgers for flippin.

You can't or at least I can't flip a venison burger like you would a beef burger.It takes a little gentle finess to keep it all together.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be makin some good lookin 1 piece venison burgers

Hope that helps someone - works for me anyway
Old 03-02-2006, 03:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I grind all my own burger also , (about 250lbs.) this year.we add a little beef fat with the venison meat.if you don't they will crumble and fall apart.

when we get it ground, we add chopped onion,a few saltine crackers, one egg, two tea spoons red wine, salt , pepper , a dash of lowyers seasoning. mix well , and put in pan or on grill.

can't beat them.
Tree Climber

My wife wrote this down. I do sincerely hope we can eat together the next time your down.I will foot the bill.
C7

Quick Reply: vension burgers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.