Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Steaks on the grill?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Steaks on the grill?

I have 2 deer steaks I want to put on the grill, but I dont have the slightest idea how. I would post this in the cooking forum, but I think 4 people go there a day, so it would take a while to get a response. How doI do this? If I have good instructions, I can cook pretty damn good.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Steaks on the grill?

Nothing fancy. I dont have green peppers, carrots, stuff like that. I just need to know what to marinade it in, how long to cook it, how much heat, etc etc.....
Old 06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Soak it in olive oil or something similiar and vinegar. Light on the vinegar. Grill them slow at a low flame. any spices would help.Onion is cheap. pepper.No salt till they are ready to eat on the plate.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is loin or tenderloin...DO NOT COOK IT SLOW. Cook it hot as hell...and fast as hell. Until medium rare in the middle. Not a whole lot of prep work is required for this type of meat. I usually cook mine for about 1 1/2 minutes per side on a red-hot grill or skillet.

If it is actual round steak or other rump steak...cook it slow, and marinating helps. Season liberally with whatever you like. Cook it until tender.

It'll be delicious, whatever it is. ENJOY!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I never understood. How do you know what its like inside? Cut it open?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok dairy queen, here we go......I first take two nice back straps and soak them overnite in worchestshire sauce, bbq sauce, cajun sprinkle seasoning, and a rosemary leaf. then comes the grilling, on low heat, about 10 min on each side (grill) then slice a small slit in to check pinkness. usually takes about a total of 20 min to get med -med rare. Another way is to marinate in Italian salad dressing, and use Mccormicks "montreal" seasoning and then cook the same way.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Would of probally been better in the cooking forum. There is a lot of us that check it out daily and would give sugestions, not to cut down the idea's that have been given. Each forum has its target group, to which it specializes. To take it a step further would you post "How to wash my clothes scent free" in the Guns section because it also gets lots of posters?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:41 PM

marinate 6-12 hours then cook hot and fast then slow cook til rigid* about 1min a side then 3-5 depending on how thick.

* I rarely use a themometer so feel is somthing you have to get use to
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, alot of different ways to cook it. I marinade mine in Hickory Smoke marinade...Moyers I think....for about 4-6 hours (an hour at least is a must)..then cook it over a low flame for about 20 minutes...

..though I like mine well done but not anywhere near black.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

First! Put a cup of olive oil in the blender, then 2 cups teriyaki, and a liberal dash of worchestire(sp?). Add 1 medium sized onion or 1/2 of a large one. Put a bit of chili powder in there. Puree.

Pour over your meat and let it sit for at least 2 hours,overnight if possible. Either cut it into 2"x3" cubes however thick you want and wrap with bacon. Grill real hot and take 'em off when medium rare. They are heavenly...just finished off about six of them...

Quick Reply: Deer Steaks on the grill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.