Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 elevated box blind >

elevated box blind

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elevated box blind

Old 05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default elevated box blind

I am planning on putting up a box blind sometime this month and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or blueprints for a homemade box blind. I plan to put it at least ten feet high and am just looking for a cheaper alternative to buying an expensive kit. Thanks everyone
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Default RE: elevated box blind

If you can build it you can design it. I looked myself to try and find a decent plan but came up empty. Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on an elevated blind I made out of 4x4's, a shipping pallet, and some plywood. It's ugly but seems pretty stable.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Thats probably what i'll do, im not worried about looks as long as its sturdy and keeps the rain out. Do you have a picture of your blind by any chance max?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking to bowhunt from a box blind it will need to be much larger than a 4x4.
A 5x6 or 6x6 is more likely to accomidate a normal draw length all body parts included.

Been there, done that. I've got 2 4x5" and it is possible to draw on the 5' lengths, but they windows have to be pointed just the right direction for a shot.

And for all the naysayers- it does provide a decent wet / rainy day option.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it will be up in fairly open land then you'll want to build it extra strong and design/plan locations based on wind. I lost my platform last year in only 30-40 mph winds and it was nearly impossible to hunt from in wind over 14mph. Good Luck and post pics when u get it finished.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The trick to anchoring one is to bury the legs 1-2' and then use a mobile home tie down auger and screw it in the ground directly below the stand. Then attach some wire cable to the base with a turnbuckle attached to the mobile home tie down.
Get the wire cable tight and then tighten up on the turnbuckle. After a good rain comes through makes sure to go back and re-cinch it up.

This trick has worked great for us so far.

This is with steel framed stands and bases BTW. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a wood base, just don't go crazy on the turnbuckle
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 PM

None that I can post. I tried to post some of the turkey I got this year and the limit is only 100kb per picture. My digital seems to only take pictures that are at least 300kb each. I dropped the resolution down and it still takes huge pictures. I haven't figured out a way to reduce the picture yet but when I do I'll post it.

The blind is pretty simple though. It's on high ground overlooking the foodplot downwind of the usual weather pattern. That helped as I only made it 8 feet high. I hamered a piece of plywood to the pallet so my feet wouldn't fall through and hamered with some spikes the 4x4's to one side of the pallet. I flipped it over and did the same to the other side. Rather than using crossmembers I just used 3 sheets of plywood to give it some stability and walls; one was attached to the front and one to either sidehalf way up the platform so 4 feet was on top and another 4 feet was under. The back was left open. I tipped it to on all four legs (it was heavy) and leveled it out by digging out the ground under the legs until it was comfortably flat. I put a patio block under each leg to keep it from sinking in. Next week I'm going to try and tie it down as it catches the wind like a parachute, cut out some windows, and figure out a roof of some sort. I made it with scrapwood and it shows but since it's up now the deer will ignore it by the time bowseason starts.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

it will be a few weeks before i get around to building it still, we're in the middle of A.I.ing heifers right now, but when i get it finished i'll post a pic or two. thanks for the advice guys