Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattle bags or real antlers >

Rattle bags or real antlers

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle bags or real antlers

Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Rattle bags or real antlers

I was thinking of using some of my sheds to try and rattle in a buck this year. I have a rattle bag but believe the real thing will work better, but I've heard otherwise.
Let's hear your stories or opinions on the matter.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattle bags or real antlers

Personally I prefere real antlers for rattling.Lets face it,they came off a live animal at once,making the most natural sound in the wild.
I have used a rattling bag in the past with great results also.If I plan on walking and stopping for a brief time to rattle and grunt then the bag would make more sence,being less clumsly(SP).
If I am sitting in a tree stand,then the real ones for me(drop sheds)are my choice.
All my stands have a set of antlers hanging from a hook waiting for me when I arrive to my stand.
I would reccomend cutting the brow tines off the sheds,they are hard on your hands when you really get banging them together
Old 04-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've used them both. i personally think it's all in preference of what you want to carry. if you don't have a lot of room i would go with the rattle bag. if you don't mind having more bulk to carry go with the antlers. i would try them both and see which one you prefer. right now i use the bag since i have to walk a good ways to where i want to hunt and its alot easier to use but thats just me, but every now and then i do use the antlers they have a better sound.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used sheds for a long time. Honestly they are a pain in the rear end. Transporting them in and out isn't too bad, but after a rattling sequence putting them in a place where they are out of the way and won't be bumped or make any noise in the stand is a pain. They also require both hands making it difficult to use a grunt or as I like to do use multiple grunts. The sound is the best you'll get anywhere, but this year I'm switching to a rattle bag. They are more compact, easier to stow when not in use, can be used with one hand and produce good enough sound to attract any deer. That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Real antlers suck to carry but I prefer them to a rattle bag hands down. If I'm still hunting or stalking I don't bring them but if I'm on stand my antlers will be hanging right next to me.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the real antlers may sound a little more real but not enough to really effect the hunting. The rattle bags are a little safer, especially when used from a tree stand. I would like to find some sheds to use for rattlers though.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I've used both and never come close to bringing in a buck with either. That being the case, I'm not messing with all the peripheral pains in the rear that come with hauling around real antlers. For one, I really hate mashed fingers on a cold morning. I carry a rattle bag - easy to pack, lightweight - for those rare times when I need to remind myself how ineffective rattling really can be!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive had more luck with a bag. Not because it is better, but because it is easier to carry, there for I tend to use it more than a real rack. I think this is the only reason I have had more luck with a rattle bag. I believe they both work about the same. That is in compareing equal size rack sounds to proper situations.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM

For me it depends on the time of year, early I carry the bag and lightly rub them together. Sounding like two small bucks figuring out where there horns are. During the Rut I bring out the big horns to make some real noise. Play the time of year, Working to hunt has never slowed me down. Good Luck
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 PM

I've had buck respond to both but none were worth getting excited about. In my experience large bucks tend to ignore the rattling. Of course it could be the way I was using them.

But I do admit the bags are much more convenient to use. With real antlers you have to make a lot of movement to be effective while a bag can be used with one hand while not making much movement.

Quick Reply: Rattle bags or real antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.