Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock scrapes

Old 04-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Mock scrapes

Has anyone had any luck with making mock scrapes early in the year before? If so what scents did you use and what deer did you kill if any? Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Default RE: Mock scrapes

I've heard of people using them to draw in deer for trail cams in late august, early september. They can't believe some of the bucks they see checking these spots out. Often, these guys hang scents in trees and have many pictures of mature bucks on their hind legs smelling it. Mind you this is in late august, early september. I think any hot doe scent will spark the interest of a buck.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm giving it a try this year. From what I have read scrapes are territorial markings.5 bucks can use the same one but let a stranger come in and some fur will fly. I hunt in different parts of the country and plan on collecting a scrape and branches from above it, from one place and putting it in another.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rely on Mock Scrapes every season and as mentioned I start them by atleast early September. I have seen some of the best bucks I'll see all season show up at these scrapes by mid October. I have killed P&Y bucks this way and passed up many more that came in and tore up Mocks Scrapes laced with James Valley Scents, Lethal Weapon and Wall Hanger Gels. These are by far THE best products I have ever used and I have experiment with dozens over the years. They will always be a very effective part of my hunting stategies every year.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I've had good luck with mock scrapes, but not until the deer are about to rut. mid to late october. I use synthetic stuff from hawgs limited. I had put out three in close proximity to each other two seasons ago and it had been hit in 12 hours, overnight basically. this year I pissed another buck off by putting it in his exisiting scrape. tried it again from a scent dripper and had good results there too. I like the synthetic stuff altho I know not everyone agrees.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start licking branches using Hawgs synthetic forehead scent in early July. Scrapes; I start putting in from late August on and I put in Mock Rubs the last week of August. The archery deer season opens here August 30th. I use "Hawgs" Buck Fever Synthetics Urine, Forehead Gland and then Rut Urine during late Oct through November. I expermented with many different types of protein based scents and had mixed results in the ways deer responded to the scents. I liked the concept of Hawgs that it wouldn't rot or break down in the bottle. With the Hawgs; I have yet to watch a buck or doe come by and spook from the scent.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had luck using Hawgs line of scents the past few years. Out of all the mock scrapes I make I would say around 70 percent of them are taken over by bucks. I have pictures of a few bucks working them. Never seen it in person though. I like to start mine in September, but end up starting some later on in the season too. I plan on using the James Valley some scrapes this year like Cornfed talked about. I have also had some luck using my own urine in the scrapes as well.