Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattle bags

Old 09-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default rattle bags

its certain to say that rattle bags are easier to carry and use, and my question is; do they sound as realistic as the antlers? Am thinking about getting one,never have hunted with one nor even held one to see what one sounds like, would appreciate the input. Thanx in advance.

happy and safe hunting.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: rattle bags

ruttnbuck,
I've used nothing but rattling bags and have had good success with them. Wal-Mart carries a type of rattling bag that sounds good, but it has no actual bag. It's a bunch of plastic rods shaped like doll rods with ribs and they have some elastic bands around them and a carry strap.

Rattling bags are easier to carry, quiet and safer. Antlers (real or plastic) are not as safe if they're carried in the open, noisy and awkward to transport to your stand.

I don't use rattling much. You never know what's going to show up. Sometimes a buck will show up and other times does and fawns will show up to see the "fight". I use a doe bleat call more than anything else. Let's face it. Does rule and they are what the deer family is all about. If you use a doe bleat call you run less chance of spooking other deer. Fawns like does, does like does and bucks definately like does.

Bowhunting has many personal choices. I'm only sharing mine with you. I'd rather leave my bow at home, than my doe bleat call.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:31 PM

the bags work and like they said, so much easier to carry
Old 09-15-2002, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have only used a rattle rack and was also thinking about using a bag. Thought about making one out of different pieces of antler.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my horns but I have noticed that many people "rattle" them to much, instead of grinding and twisting them. This realistic grinding can be acomplished very easily and with very good results from a "bag". My favorite sounding bags are the Knight & Hale with their great sounding VTS tines and the new Lohman Dynamite rattler which isn't a bag at all.I think the Lohman is the one Bowhunter57 is trying to desribe, it really does sound great and you don't have to worry about the bag wearing out and tearing.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:48 PM

I have used both and have good response from both, it's a personal preference good luck