HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would you support a doe only season... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/94177-would-you-support-doe-only-season.html)

buckeye 03-16-2005 08:54 AM

Would you support a doe only season...

Would you support a doe only season in your state for one year to help balance the buck to doe ratio and increase the age structure of the buck pouplation?

ash2042 03-16-2005 09:02 AM

RE: Would you support a doe only season...

I would definately support a doe only season. I think it would be hard to convience some of the "old timers" in my state to agree. I just saw, not to long ago posted property and the posters said no doe hunting. I geuss they are just uneducated.

rob1 03-16-2005 09:03 AM

Definately.

adams 03-16-2005 09:06 AM

I would as long as there is science behind it and the population can support it. In some parts of my state it wouldn't be a problem but in other areas there are only 6-7 deer per square mile. A doe only season in these parts could have a terrible effect on the population.

Bottom line, if the buck/doe ration is out of wack and the population can sustain a doe only season then let the does fall where they may.

rybohunter 03-16-2005 09:13 AM

I'd favor a very limited buck tag drawing first before a whoesale doe only season for an entire year.

bearklr 03-16-2005 09:22 AM

We used to have doe only here in Pa but they combined it with the two week buck season so that more doe got taken which also tried to reduce the buck harvest at the same time. Personally, I like the season as it stands now because I have a better chance at harvesting a deer when I head out hunting.

silentassassin 03-16-2005 09:55 AM

I absolutely would for a couple of years

gutshot 03-16-2005 10:10 AM

I would if my state wasn't ready killing to many does now. For those of you who say yes, do you now shoot does on your own? I for one do.

Double Creek 03-16-2005 10:10 AM

I once belonged to a club who's doe population had gotten way out of whack. For 3 years all that you could kill were spikes and does. When we opened buck hunting back up, there were some MONSTER bucks killed the following few years.

The doe only season is tough, b/c some areas could really use it and others don't need it. I've hunted areas within this state that have buck to doe ratios of close to even, then other places have 10 does to each buck. I guess it would be up the biologists and individual land owners to limit the amount of does shot on any individual parcel of land.

I might would support it, but with strict rules and regulations and lots of guidance from the game departments and biologists.

silentassassin 03-16-2005 10:22 AM

I do shoot does. As a matter of fact all I shot this year was does (6). I passed up SEVERAL small bucks that were legal but for me personally there is no sense killing a small buck. I can just kill does for meat and hopefully the small buck will be bigger next year. He might still get killed anyway but at least I have done my part to help him get there.