Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Idaho elk hunting....... >

Idaho elk hunting.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Idaho elk hunting.......

Old 01-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Idaho elk hunting.......

I'm heading to middle Idaho for an elk hunting trip this Oct. Do any of you have any experience hunting elk in Idaho? If so, what can I expect and what should I prepare for. Also, what equipment would any of you recomend? I'm bringing both my Mathews Switchback, and my T/C Encore 300 Win. Mag. Don't know what to really expect. Our group is going unguided so we're gonna learn as we go. I hope we're not in over our head[&:]
Old 01-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Idaho elk hunting.......

I would say to get in the best shape cariovascularly that you can. Also, loose any uneeded body weight. Bring a GPS (each of you), maps, survival gear, etc. I don't know how far back you are going, but you may want to rent a satelite phone.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where in the middle of Idaho? The I have hunted the middle of Idaho and its a huge place. It takes five days just to float through the Frank Church Wilderness River of no return (Salmon River) and thats only a small part of the middle of Idaho. One thing to be aware of is the wolves, they have hurt the elk heards bad in the middle part of Idaho. A lot of outfitters that have been guiding in central/middle Idaho, have went out of business or changed locations because the wolves have killed so many elk. Give me some info of your plans and I do my best to help you out and point you in a good direction.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first question is why october? If you don't know where the elk may be you might have some problems. In sept. those critters will let you know right where they are.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcrazy8, I thought about that question too? Also why take both a gun and a bow. I know that the middle fork zone and the selway zone are open up to any weapon, Sept 15, so I guess you could try to use the bow first because its the rut after all. Then if you don't get anything with the bow you could use the rife. But why would you wait until Oct??? I don't know unless thats the only time you could get off from work, or you mostly want to rifle hunt in Oct?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm paying close attention to this post for the selfish reasons of wanting to go out there and hunt. The first problem I see is the Sept. 15th date. Wife's birthday. Oh well I've been in hot water on this one before because that is opening Bow for white tail.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM

Hey ,

Have you hunted elk before?? the country is rough. Depending on where your going in Idaho,the hunting can be pretty good. The key to hunting elk with success is to know there patterns,be aggressive, and hunt hard!!!

good luck to you..
Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stone 315_74 one thing to consider is unit 30, in the beaverhead Zone. Its still "central middle Idaho" but when most refer to central Idaho they are talking about the Selway and Middle fork zone which I mentioned before. Unit 30 its to the east and runs north and south of the town of Salmon and borders Montaina as well. Its general archery only from Aug, 30 to Sept. 30 with a draw only rifle hunt in Oct. A lot of good bulls live there as well as a lot of elk because of the lack of hunting pressure. YOU have to like steep, steep country and hiking a lot but WOW the hunting is good. And on the plus side are the cattle ranchers that run the cattle around in the bottom of the valleys and keep the wolves in check. I have talked to several hunters who hunted the middle fork zone and saw very few if not any elk. But the hunters in unit 30 did very very well this year. And saw very few wolves.
I have said this befere and I'll say it again, when wolves are around there are no elk to be found. You don't have to just take my word for it call the Fish and Game at the Salmon Idaho office, and they will tell you the honest truth as well. The local State Fish and Game are starting to realize that if the wolves take over and eliminate the hunters they could be out of a job. Sorry I first posted that unit 30 is in the Salmon zone, my mistake because its borders the town of Salmon I always assume and forget that its not part of the salmon zone. I hunted it before 1998 when the elk zones were created and it was just know as unit 30. I usually hunt the Lemhi zone units 51, 29, 37 and 37A, but this year I will try a new area that I have learned about closer to my home here in Idaho Falls. Thanks Jason
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about all the edits I am trying to think and type and take care of my wife who just got back from the hospital and my 2 kids as well.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:47 AM

it all depends on the kind of hunter you are, do you get out and hike? or do you prefer to stick to old loggin roads, and sit and wait? i hunted the mccall area for the last 5 yrs, the best advice i can give is get a gps, and get into good shape if your gonna hike it, along with some good supporting boots, the country can be nasty, if thats where your heading, as for the weather you kind of of have to pack for warm /or cold weather , because one day can be blistering hot, and then freezeing cold. shoot me an email if thats kind of where your going, and i'll try to help you out the best i can.

Quick Reply: Idaho elk hunting.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.