Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help with Cold Weather Hunting >

Need Help with Cold Weather Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help with Cold Weather Hunting

Old 12-23-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Need Help with Cold Weather Hunting

Hey i was just wondering if there is a time of the day when deer move when it is really cold out. Today they are sayin the wind chill could be like -15 but the temp is 15. I was wondering if maybe i should go sit in my stand from like 2:30 to like 4:30 or 5 so i dont freeze my a$$ off. i hope maybe some of u guyz can help me out. There is nuttin worse than sittin out in the cold an not seeing a deer. [:@]
Old 12-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help with Cold Weather Hunting

I know this for sure.....If you stay indoors you have a 100% chance of NOT seeing any deer...but if you go out and sit your chances improve.

As far as handling the cold......, layers, layers, and layers. Multiple loose thin layers beats the heck out of thick heavy layers. Chemical heat packs for your kidneys, wrists and the back of your neck work wonders. And keep you feet out of holes in the earth or from being exposed to whipping winds. Be careful out there.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 AM

While we are on the subject do yall believe that deer will move during strong winds. i live down south and i have always tried not to hunt on windy days. We are having one of the strongest cold fronts in a while for the next few days. While hunting Monday I noticed a basket rack 6 point chasing 3 does. My question I quess is since the bucks are now starting to chase does does strong winds still effect their movements? I get plenty opertunities to hunt so it isn't like I can't hunt early next week after the winds subside. A buddy of mine is bugging me to take him in the morning but I'm having second thoughts with the winds up around 15-25 with the temp. in the low 20's. Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM

This past monday was only 8 degrees here and watched deer all day out my office window in a winter wheat feild .....then when im in the stand when its 8 degrees , I see nothin?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:59 PM

I haven't seen any deer the times I have gone out in a strong wind, regardless of the temperature. I have since heard that they don't move much when it is really windy.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:01 PM

It wasnot windy here just bone chillin cold[&:]