Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How cold is too cold for bowhunting? >

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Spike

Default How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

I think I wimped out today. We had 4 degrees with no wind so it wasn't terrible, but I had this thought in the back of my head of one of my buddies snapping a string in very cold weather. So the question becomes, how cold is too cold? Are there certain temps that bow's shouldn't be exposed to? I can deal with the cold temps for myself up to a certain point but wasn't sure if there was a temp where the bow would have some problems? Anyone have any first hand experiences?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

I've hunted in single digits a couple times, and wasn't as worried about the bow as I was me!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 PM

Some people bowhunt in the North West Territories, Alaska or the North Pole...where temperatures drop down to -40s. They've taken polar bears, and those hairy sheeps/cows (?)..I think they're call Yaks. They do say that they've covered their bows with animal skins, and sometimes surround the limbs with heat-packs.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:10 AM

I don't have a driving desire to hunt Yak or Polar bears, so I'll stick to something above zero. This morning it's 8 below with a windchill around 20-25 below. I'll be indoors for 99% of the day. Some guys are tougher than I am, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went out this morning and it was 4 degrees. A slight Northerly wind but I dressed for it and it wasn't too bad. I am home a little early though!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Today is too cold here in Ontario ,it's -35 here and even though it's sunny and probably good to be out with the wind chill it's just too darn cold for me to be out there .

nubo
Old 12-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I've learned deer can't come inside. I've hunted in some very cold weather, but if it's too cold for you to enjoy the hunt why go. It's so much more fun to stay home and stare out the window thinking I wonder if I would have got one.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 AM

As long as I can still pull back my bow after sitting a couple of hours it's not too cold. I worry more about my proformance in sub zero weather then I do my gears.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm planning on hunting on Thursday and Friday of this week. The high in the afternoon isn't suppose to reach above the teens. So the morning hunts with the hard Kansas wind should be cold for stand hunting, like it was yesterday, but after seeing the buck I did yesterday, cold is the last thing on my mind.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MQ1shooter
I've hunted in single digits a couple times, and wasn't as worried about the bow as I was me!
I know this is the bow forum, but this post brought back a memory of hunting when it's VERY cold out.

Last season, January 2004, I was with a bunch of goose hunter guys that I knew. We were in a farmers field laying down in 6" of snow and it was 8 degrees out. This is in Virginia, folks... I mean, this was flippin' COLD!!!! [&:][] I mean, medically, the risk of hypothermia was there! Yes, I dressed warm... Thinsulate lined boots with two layers of socks. Thermal long johns, then sweat pants and a sweat shirt. Then, finally, my big heavy insulated camo coveralls. It didn't matter.... The wind whipped right through you. You can't lie still in the snow and not freeze your A$$ off! We all packed it in by 9:30 - 10:00 that morning, because it was just too darned cold! [&o] Brrrrrrrrr.......

Butch A.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.