Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting from an elevated >

hunting from an elevated

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting from an elevated

Old 11-22-2004, 07:08 PM

Default hunting from an elevated

Hey guy's I have a question. When hunting from an elevated position does the arrow have a different trajectory than from the ground, besides the obvious how does an arrow react ? aim high or aim lower.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting from an elevated

you aim exactly the same as you would on the ground. remember when you shoot at a deer from an elevated position you use the distance that the deer is from the bottom of the tree, not the diagnol distance from you to the deer. a little confusing but do you follow me?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the information
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the heights we hunt from in Texas tripods, it won't make a bit of difference.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing to remember is to bend at the waist when shooting from a stand or elevated position. Keep the same form as you do when shooting from the ground!!!
If you don't do this you will shoot high!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to remember that it depends on the angle of the shot that you are taking. The closer that the deer is to you the lower the arrow is going to exit the animal. So if you are shooting at something that is 30 yards away you may be able to aim dead on but if you are shooting something at 8 yards you may need to aim higher so that you get as much of the vitals as possible. It also depends on how high that you are in the tree. You're angle is steeper when you are 25 feet up than it is when you are 15 feet up. Practice from your tree stand this will help you figure the difference on entrance and exit.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made a bad hit on a trophy buck this year. 25 feet high, deer was 4 yards from the bottom of the tree. He was passing behind, but I had one shot. Obviously, the shot was effectively zero yards, which would have caused me to hit a few inches low.

Broadside, I ran the arrow just inside his left shoulder, and exited his left armpit. two inches higher would have put it in his chest cavity.

Next time I will think before I shoot. So yes, elevated platform shots can be different on rare occasion. Aim a little high at close range, or buy a pendulum sight to eliminate all compensation. That's my next purchase.