Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Etiquette???

Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Etiquette???

I need some help making a decision. I have thought about this for a week now and I still can't come to a final decision. Here is the situation:

I hunt on public land (conservation area) where it is bow only. There are two homemade deer stands within 10 yards of each other right where I want to hunt. (Very few viable options to hang other stands) All stands are legal and properly tagged.

My question is, on public land, what is the proper etiquette on using someone else’s stand on public land?

Please keep in mind I rarely hunt on weekends. I usually hunt mid-week in the mornings.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Etiquette???

Only after getting permission. Someone's stand is personal, build or put up with blood, sweat and tears. They would mostly likely be pissed and a confrontation could arise. I would either move, or put a portable stand in the area. Goodluck
Old 11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally love my climber. I think you need to take into consideration what type of hunters they maybe. You don't know and it sounds like with 2 stands that place may get a lot of traffic. Little deer may continue to travel through but bigger deer like to go around. When I've gotten into those type's of situations, I believe in using them to my advantage and move a liitle bit away on a secondary trail based on deer direction and the other hunters approach to there stands.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would stay out of someone elses blind
Old 11-12-2004, 10:48 AM

Just imagine it was your stand and you found someone else in it.

Just a thought
Old 11-12-2004, 11:25 AM

I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't hunt out of someone else stand without permission but IMO it's piss poor eitquette to leave a stand up overnight on public lands. Public lands is first come first serve and the "marking territory" by leaving stands up just fries my butt[:@]
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it's piss poor eitquette to leave a stand up overnight on public lands. Public lands is first come first serve and the "marking territory" by leaving stands up just fries my butt
Exactly my thoughts!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 PM

Funny how that works.....it is public land, but they are not your stands. I would personally hunt it only after permission--but that is a call that you are going to have to make.

Edited to ask....Are they permanant stands, or climbers?---If they are wood, nailed to a tree---use the heck out of 'em.