Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok for pregnant women to eat venison? >

Ok for pregnant women to eat venison?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok for pregnant women to eat venison?

Old 11-07-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Ok for pregnant women to eat venison?

I know this is a bowhunting forum but since I've been a member for awhile and have come to feel like I know some of y'all through your posts, I thought I'd ask. I know a good many of y'all have families and young kids so was this a factor during your wife's pragnancy? We did some research on the internet and it said that pregnant women shouldn't eat venison b/c of the chance of getting "Toxoplasma gondii" which is a bacteria that infects deer and other animals. It can be very harmful to the developing baby. This is our first so you can imagine our dilemma. Deer meat is pretty much the only meat we eat as we're on a pretty tight budget and most years I don't have a problem getting enough. Obviously, this wasn't know of until fairly recently and people have been eating deer meat for thousands of years so...
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Will
Old 11-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok for pregnant women to eat venison?

I don't know much about what you posted. And I don't have a kid.

But I do know, that as a whole...venison is much healthier meat to eat, than beef, most of the time.

I figure that if there is no obvious defect of the deer killed, the venison from it will be fine to eat.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Will,
My wife and I have two children that are going to be 4 and 1 in January and during both pregnancies my wife ate venison. Both children are very healthy and my wife had no problems with the pregnancies what so ever. Now it sounds like your family eats venison on a more frequent basis than mine so take it for what it is worth to you. I wouldn't hesitate to feed it to my wife at all, it is very healthy and if cooked properly should be as safe as beef. While pregnant they are not supposed to eat raw, pink meat, it needs to be fully cooked. No Rare steaks or medium for that matter.

And by the way, my 4 yr old loves the stuff and my 1 year old will be trying it for the first time soon!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Well I have heard that you shouldn't give it to your dog but never heard not to give it to your wife! Just so happens that my brother is a OBGYN (or as Archie Bunker would say...groin-a-coligist). I'll clip copy your question and mail it to him and well see what he says.

Since I'm almost family, right?

Congrats of the baby by the way!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

never heard of such a thing
Old 11-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the quick replies. I just cooked some t-loin butterfy steaks for lunch with some onion gravy over mashed potatoes and it bout killed my wife not to have any. She finally said "I guess one bite wouldn't hurt" after which she proceeded to eat a whole one. I am really careful about handling the meat as I do all of my own processing and of course cook it well. She's worried b/c several people who she knows at church told her they were told not to eat any venison during pregnancy. Anywho...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a search on Google I just did and what you are saying is true to a point. It says the main thing is you can caatch it from any mammal at all and a cat is the easiest to catch it from. So stay away from cat boxes and cook the meat well done and it will be ok.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:16 PM

Scbowhntr,

My Dr. brother said as long as the meat is cooked to the recommended interior temp there isn't any threat to toxoplasmosis. He did warn that cleaning cat litter is a risky thing for pregnant women to be doing. Keep her full and happy!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:40 PM

SCbowhntr,

My wife ate deer meat thru her entire pregnancy, and my son has been in top notch shape so far. He will soon be 10 months old. I was unemployed, and thats just all we had. We literally ate venison every single day.
I do know that you have to keep her away from cats and dirty cat liter, that can be very dangerous to the baby's health.

By the way, congrats on your first pregnancy---Your really in for it now. Trust me
Old 11-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Greavous and others thanks for the advice. That certainly takes a load off my mind and wallet. Once again y'all pull thru!