Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quick question, need answer/advice fast!!! >

Quick question, need answer/advice fast!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quick question, need answer/advice fast!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Quick question, need answer/advice fast!!!

What is the best way to leave your stand, that's at the edge of a 1acre biologic field, when it's got several deer in the field without spooking them? Thanks alot guys in advance!

Blacktalon
Old 11-07-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Quick question, need answer/advice fast!!!

very quietly. for real though i don't think there is a good way. if they see you operating a flashlight, but DON'T smell you, they'll usually just walk off a bit and return to business as usual when they've figured out you pose no threat, that's my experience anyway. any way to catch them on the way in? if not, i'm kinda in the same boat here.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I do is wait until it is dark and stay downwind! Also I would try and have a few different ways to/from the stand. I have walked passed deer in the field at dark and they never knew I was there at 40 yards! Good luck!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:09 PM

I saw this question posted a while back on another BB, and meant to reply--but actually forgot. I only hunt food plots occasionaly--mostly browse trails and transition areas. But when I do hunt the food, I carry a "dying rabbit" mouth call. When it gets too dark to shoot and ethical shot, or just whenever I feel like getting down, I start raising immortal hell with that call. Usually a bobcat or a few cyotes will come in to it, and most of the time, the sound alone spooks the deer back into the woods. If the sounds don't do the trick, the yotes and cats showing up sends them packing. The good thing about this, is that it doesn't ruin the hunting for the next day, or for the next guy.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:59 PM

thats a great idea. Last night i had a spike directly under my stand smelling the doe urine on the ground that i had sprayed on my boots. It was right at dark and he stayed for at least 30 minutes. finally i just blowed at him like a deer would...lol. He still wouldnt leave. I had to set in my stand for about 40 minutes after dark. He was a little buck but i still didnt want to spook him. I hate spooking deer, even if its one i know i dont want to harvest.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Have a buddy pick you up in a vehicle.
Brian
Old 11-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem some times....there really isnt a good way to go about doing it, i usually blow my grunt call and try to scare them away that way, sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent. sometimes just shining the flashlight at them makes them run off too.