Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ****Update WITH PHOTO NOW****PHOTO NOW!!Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck? >

****Update WITH PHOTO NOW****PHOTO NOW!!Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

****Update WITH PHOTO NOW****PHOTO NOW!!Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck?

Old 11-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default ****Update WITH PHOTO NOW****PHOTO NOW!!Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck?

In one picture, (At end of thread)I am pointing to the entry hole on the deer. I did find the other half of the arrow too. The broadhead was pointing just through the shoulder and skin on the other side. I'll try to add the photo's and see what happens here! Never did it before.
Original message below this

Well I found him. He ran about 75 yards through the tall grass and thicket. The arrow entered his left side chest and the broadhead imbedded in his opposite shoulder. He did look like he was in a bedded position and didn't just expire at full tilt. I think it was best to let him sit. The arrow did take the top part of both lungs. Most of the blood was inside the animal. I didn't find any blood until about 20 yards from wear I shot him. THere was a lot of blood in his chest cavity when I opened him up. It was easy to follow the trail in the tall brown marsh grass. He is an 8 point with 14 inch spread. Probably a 2 1/2 year old deer. HIs neck is swollen and tarsal glands really stink. I don't have anyone here yet to take a picture of him. I'll post a photo by this afternoon.

Went out this AM here in central WI. Perfect morning. Slight breeze, 27 degrees. Had deer going by me in the dark as I was out in my stand quite early (5:40). At 6:30 had 3 does coming down a trail right to me. As soon as they crossed my path that I walked in on dragging my scent line they stopped and were very cautious, nervously making there way by me. I look behind them, and here comes a nice 8point down the same trail. He reaches the scent drag, stops, and stands there for ten minutes sniffing, and barely moving around in a little circle. Very nervous. He turns and heads back to the tall brown grass they all came out of. Darn, no shot. But 10 minutes later he comes back and skirts way around my scent drag and ends up 10 yards in front of me. Very nervous yet. I had scent wicks with doe in heat in front of me. I take the shot, deer falls over, gets back up and runs 50 yards into the tall brown grass and thicket and stops. I never hear him move from that time on. I wait half hour. Get down quietly and inspect the area where I shot him, no immediate sign of blood, but I find half my arrow, the feathered half, laying on the ground 10 feet from where I shot him without a drop of blood or hair on it? I decide to leave the area, hoping he is laying in that marsh taking his last few breaths. I figure I'll give him a couple hours and go back. I am hoping I went through a lung and hit the opposite shoulder blade. The deer was standing perfectly broadside when I shot. I never seen a deer go down like that when shot with a bow before. It looked like an NFL lineman hauled off and leveled him! The area I hunt is such thick tag alders and brush that my shooting lanes are very small. I'll keep you all posted with pictures too I hope!!!!

Old 11-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck?

It sounds like a front shoulder hit? But really would help if you could give more info? where were you aiming! Which way was the deer facing? With an arrow broke off clean with no blood or hair on it my guess is a dead on shoulder hit, When the deer took off running he broke the arrow off, My brother hit a couple of deer in the past that sounds very close to what you sead happened, And he sead he hit right in the shoulder! and as soon as he started running it broke the arrow off clean without much or any blood at all. The deer he shot did not run very far!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

RTA47, The deer was 10 yards away, broadside, maybe slightly quartering away. I was aiming for the lungs, right at the crease behind the front leg. I usually have some clue as to where I hit a deer, but with this deer being so close, in a thick area, and the fact he fell over right away, I really wasn't sure exactly wear I hit him, but in the chest area. Of the 20+ deer I have shot with a bow, never had one fall over like that. I am expecting to find this deer with a hole through the lungs and the broadhead and other half of the arrow in his opposite shoulder. I will be waiting one more hour before I head out. Gotta drop the kiddos off at school now.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biglouie I believe your deer is down, Giving him a little more time like you sead your going to do is the best thing. Most likely he is in that tall grass or not far from it. And it does sound like you got good penetration! Even though it broke off. maby when he fell to the ground is what broke the arrow off? Ether way half that arrow made it in! And thats the part that counts! Keep us informed on how the recovery efferts are going. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:45 AM

What sort of a sound did the arrow impact make? Also what type of arrows were you shooting and was there any sign on the shaft at all? By the way you describe the hit and the fact it dropped the buck I'm guessing the deer took all the ke from your arrow right square on a bone. Likely the shoulder bone but more info would definately help.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:23 AM

I agree that if your hit was in the chest and you didn't get a pass-through you likely hit shoulder. If you hit solid bone you would likely have heard a very distinct whaaack sound. Hopefully the shoulder you hit was the opposite shoulder, in which case your deer will be down in less than 100 yards. If you hit the entry-side shoulder, your guess on recovery is as good as mine. It all depends on how far your arrow penetrated beyond the shoulder bones. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:48 AM

If you only have half the arrow (12 or so inches), I would guess you hit the opposite shoulder... Otherwise you'd have a lot more arrow..

But you never can tell. You're smart to give it some time. Let them bed down and stalk them SLOWLY...

Good luck and post some pics when you find him!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 AM

Congrats on the find! Way to track that boy down! Congrats once again!

Stups
Old 11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought he was down! I am very happy you found him. You did the right thing by not pushing him! Congrats on what sounds like a very nice buck! Now lets get some pics on here!
Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM

Good job on being patient.

I can't quite figure out how a double lunged deer bedded down within that short distance. Usually when you take out both airbags they don't have time to bed down.

Maybe he just fell and ended up looking peaceful.

Doesn't really matter I guess.

Quick Reply: ****Update WITH PHOTO NOW****PHOTO NOW!!Any guesses as to I'll recover this buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.