Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Equipment suggestions? >

Equipment suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Equipment suggestions?

Old 11-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Equipment suggestions?

Folks,

I am looking for some guidance. My birthday was last week and I happened to receive some nice gift certificates/monetary donations. Something in the $200-$300 range. As always, I am eager to increase my gear repertoire. If you had that money then what would you spend it on?

Bow accessories?
Binoculars?
Ground blind?
New hunting clothes?
GPS?
Two way Radio?
Deer Butchering equipment?
Something else?

What specific gear and what specific brand/model if applicable? Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Only one catch, it has to be at Cabelas since that is where the gift certificates are from. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Equipment suggestions?

I guess it depends on what "I" already had and what I wanted. If I didn't own a gps and socouted new ground alot I'd find it indispenceable. I have access to large tracts of land in the nothern parts of Maine and New Hampshire. Often my scouting is done imediatly after the season so it's the better part of 9 months before I can get back to hunt. If "my situation" resembled this I'd pick up a gps. A bottom of the line etrex from garmin is suficient.

If I were unhappy with something on my bow I'd look to replace it. Be it a sight or an arrow rest or stabilizer, now would be a good time to make an upgrade.

Your question is very specifis to an individuals want's or needs and it's tough for me to guess what you want. I wish I had you're prediciment. I'm sure I could come up with something to spend the loot on.

I wish you the best of luck
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply Adams. Truth be told I already have one of each of those things I mentioned but I am always looking to upgrade.

This is more of a "wish list" than anything else..and I am also trying to find something I may have overlooked.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 AM

Wow... I envy your situation!

Depending a lot on your current inventory, I'd look toward clothing. I know few hunters with the full range of camo from warm weather to cold weather, with boots and hats to match. However, I guess if you don't gun hunt, this may be a moot point.

I'd also look at something along the lines of Binoculars. This is something I don't own and would like, but it falls at the bottom of the list behind more clothing, more stands, new bow, ...

As far as Two-Way radios -- do you have a hunting partner you'd want to have the other radio? In my situation, I really don't see a need for these as I don't condone talking through a hunt. GPS's are nice. I have the $99 basic Garmin Etrex, and while it's not fancy, it does allow me to mark the stand locations on other's property and come pretty close when I go back. Good enough for me, but unless you want to use it for navigation on roads or such, stick to something simple.

Another good option is fixed stands. A ladder stand or two or some strap on stands / climbing sticks. The trees around here don't condone climber stands and on my property, I'd like to have a couple more stands to choose from. It seems you can't have too many.

Really, as Adams said, depends on what you have / need?!

Oh ya. One more thought... if you don't have one already. Get a setup for maintaining your bow and making arrows. A good fletcher and bow press can be really nice to have around and are something you woudn't normally spend your money on.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would either go with the ground blind, a climber, a couple of lock ons, clothes, or a set of binoculars. I have a compact set of binos on the wish list for this year. My birthday money got spent on a new stainless steel prop for the new boat I bought to hunt out of
Old 11-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will take them to heart.

mjgood0,

Lets see if I can inventory some of my gear.

Clothing:

Two pair of Cabelas Microtex uninsulated outfits for early season hunting
Two pairs of SaddleCloth uninsulated outfits for early season hunting
One Revolution Fleece "rain gear" outfit for early season
Two pairs of Insulated Revolution fleece outfits for late season hunting
One MT050 Insulated coverall outfit for extreme cold weather
Two pairs of rubber boots
Two pairs of "street hikers" for turkey and/or early bow season
One pair of "mid season boots"
One pair of "pac boots"
One set of boot blankets
Two "leafy outfits" to wear outside any of the above mentioned outfits

I am sure I missed some clothing. I may look into a new outfit in Predator camo.

I like the idea of binoculars and have actually been really researching into it again lately. I say "again" because I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch's last year at Christmas time and have been thoroughly pleased with their performance. However, I don't have a good "back up" pair or one that my wife could use as well. I really like the looks of the Leupold/Wind River Katmai in the 8x33 version. They are shorter and lighter than even my Monarchs without sacrificing much in terms of brightness levels.

I don't think a treestand as I have two climbers and two hang ons. Maybe a ladder stand though.

As for bow work...have my own press, arrow saw, two fletching jigs, arrow straightness checker, draw weight scale, arrow scale, etc.... I have been looking at that Montec arrow squaring device though as well as possibly upgrading my bow press since most of my bows are now parallel limb models.

Thank you for the suggestions.

SA,

I have been contemplating getting a Double Bull blind though it would be hard to justify with three Ameristep models and a Hunters View blind though a goose blind might be something to consider.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:36 AM

Hmm... with that in mind -- How bout I give you another $300 and you give me your equipment... No? Didn't think so.

If I were you and had basically everything I could need to hunt effectively, I'd get something truely frivolous since the money was given as a gift. Find something completely impractical you've still always wanted or find something you and your wife could both enjoy.

Does she hunt? A hunting spouse is a huge asset during the season! (If not, this may be a nice way to introduce her to the sport).

Have fun with it! I sure would!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

mjgood1,

Now there is an idea. I could spend it on the Mrs. Back when we were just dating I actually bought her a bow and full setup along with the typical 3D gear. She never hunted with me but she did shoot 3D shoots every weekend.

I know she has no interest in doing that again but there maybe some other aspect of the sport that I could get her something for. Either that or I could buy my son some new camo duds.

Thank you again for your thoughtful suggestions.

Oh...and let me know which camo outfit you want. The wife is always complaining that I have too many. (No such thing in my book )
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 PM

Happy Birthday you ol bowhunter!

I took it upon myself to do a little shopping for you and based upon my devide taste in sporting good (I'm a flop in fashion) I recommend you consider a sweet set of outdoor cutlery. Here is a link to one of my wish list items. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=&cmCat=search

Another thing that I have been wishing to get is a binocular/laser ranger combo. I have each individually and hate to have both on my neck or fishing the ranger out of a pocket when movement isn't the thing to be doing. Just seems like garlic and onions to me.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a .22 or a youth model 410 for your boy to shoot in a couple of years or even a youth model bow? It isn't going to eat anything and it will be there whenever he gets ready for it.

Quick Reply: Equipment suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.