HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Will deer come to cut soybean fields? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/75735-will-deer-come-cut-soybean-fields.html)

nbadger23 10-13-2004 09:02 AM

Will deer come to cut soybean fields?

I've usually only hunted corn fields and they have been great to hunt on after they've been picked but is it the same for soybean fields? I haven't really hunted them before and so far this year am 0-3 in terms of even seeing deer on the soy fields. Now that they are picked I'm wondering if I should completely give up and move elsewhere or still keep trying?

RiverBottomBowHunter 10-13-2004 09:05 AM

RE: Will deer come to cut soybean fields?

Where I live, the deer like soybeans. They usually come out later. I like to hunt about 100yrds off the fields. I like to set up on acorns. The deer seem to stay here until dark then move out to the fields.

dough boy 10-13-2004 09:13 AM

I hunt on a farm that the farmer grows corn and soy beans. This year it is corn, but when it is beans, we still see our fair share of deer. We the beans are picked, there are still a large amount of beans left in the field. I would not give up. The deer are still there. Good luck!!!!

Crazystups 10-13-2004 09:35 AM

Deer where I hunt will come into the soybeans fields close to dark. If the fields have been fresh cut it might take a day or so but you will see deer in soybean fields! Hope this helps.

Stups

nbadger23 10-13-2004 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info - looks like I should keep hunting it for a while... at least until the corn fields are cut!

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-13-2004 10:17 AM

Yes, the experienced I've had on cut soy bean fields is the same of that over cut corn fields. Deer will come into, use and feed in cut bean fields.

cardeer 10-13-2004 10:33 AM

yep soy will

SW Iowa Hunter 10-13-2004 01:56 PM

If it is like our area the deer will move as the food source changes. The soy beans are usually the first to go so you will get a lower amount of deer sightings until the corn comes out of the field. Then there should be more action. A fence row in between a picked bean field and a standing corn field is great because the deer will come out and walk in the bean field instead of walking through the corn.

If it was a good place in the past it will be good again. If you have another food source close by you may want to hunt it for awhile and come back to this one later.

nbadger23 10-13-2004 02:32 PM

SW Iowa - I do have that exact setup semi-available to me. I share the land with another hunter and he has a stand on the corner of where the corn ends. There is a soybean field on the other side of the fence line. I'll have to see if I can setup there somewhere. I shouldn't be bothering him too much considering the fact that two weeks ago we literally chased a 130 class 8 pt to him when bringing materials out to build a permanent stand. I figure he owes me one :-)

Kybuckhunter 10-13-2004 02:41 PM

Sometimes after the beans are shelled the beans that fall on the ground will sprout and come up like a spring crop. If this happens you will have a hot spot untill frost kills them.