Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long have you gone without a deer? >

How long have you gone without a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long have you gone without a deer?

Old 10-05-2004, 06:51 AM

Default RE: How long have you gone without a deer?

I've got to closing in on a year here pretty soon. Hopefully I can end the drought in the morning. I've has my eye on any doe that happens by within range.

Hang in there! If you've been having bad luck it can only get better and when it dose kick Mr. Murphy while he's down for me too
Old 10-05-2004, 07:36 AM

It has been five long year's last year i missed a 12 pt. I caught a tree limb about 10 yard's short of the deer and it thru my arrow under it's belly. it made me sick. but i hunt harder now than ever. my wife say's i spend more time in a tree than some animals. stick with it it will come.(that's what i keep telling myself. ha ha)
Old 10-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've gone since I hung the 150 class beauty on my den wall. That was fall 2002. Oh I've had chances but it's hard to release on one that won't go right beside him on the wall!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

last nov. for me. I think some of the other guys might be right just try to relax & have fun. A few years ago I put so much pressure on myself to shoot a nice buck I ended up missing some real nice ones. Now I just have fun & relax. I,ve shot 2 nice bucks the last 2 seasons.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:46 AM

Much of bow hunting contrary to what hunting videos might lead one to think is going home empty handed. You don't get a deer every time out and sometimes you don't for a whole season or more. Don't feel bad or that you have to meet some magical number of harvested deer to be a bowhunter.
Keep trying and doing the best you can. As someone once told me " keep going up to bat, sooner or later you are going to hit a homer", and that was good advice because I was ready at that time to quit. In the last seven years I have arrowed a deer every year, so it does come together. I also swear by scentlok clothing. Keep trying, you are a bowhunter, and relax and think positive.
Enjoy the hunt!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Don't feel bad. At least you're out in the woods, and there is a chance. This is for real, some of my friends have been hunting elk for over TEN years WITHOUT harvesting ANY (not even a cow). So, good luck to ya!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well in 2001 I shot this buck.

In 2002 I passed all bucks that were smaller than this one, I probably passed a dozen. In 2003 I was hunting a 10 pt that was around 22" wide all the while passing bucks in the caliber of the picture above. Had I not known of the 10 pt. I would have taken one or two of the ones I had passed. So by choice, I hadn't shot a buck since that 2001 animal. I did however shoot a doe the following flintlock season. This year thus far I had passed a small buck but it's only 3 days into our archery season and again, my big 10 pt from last year is walking around so whose to say how many bucks I'll pass seeking him out once again.

Not getting a deer doesn't make you a bad hunter, sometimes it's a choice not to settle for less than what your after. I simply try to outdo myself.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

9 days and 17 hours. I can't take it much longer. I NEED to get back to the woods.

I am in earn a buck so I got my doe on the 25th. I still might take another doe if I get a real good chance but for the most part it is buck hunting now. Don't feel bad about not getting one. Before this past one it had been about 5 years.[] Good luck tonight at the orchard. Let us know how you do.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:36 AM

Last november for me. This year Ive had dog problems lol. I finally got some cable tie outs and tied them off to a corner post while I went out yesterday. Saw 7 does and 6 fawns. Didnt want to take the does with fawns but there was one extra doe out there. At the time I couldnt tell which of the 2 does was with that fawn. A little later they let me know but visibility was no good because of the tall grass they got into so I didnt take the shot. Going after that doe tonight though. Need some meat in the freezer for the winter.
Stryker777
Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Not getting a deer doesn't make you a bad hunter, sometimes it's a choice not to settle for less than what your after. I simply try to outdo myself.
I came around to this way of thinking a few years back. If i am after a certain class buck or if there is a buck in my area that i am after i try not to settle for less. But (IMO) taking a smaller buck than what you have killed does not make you a bad bowhunter ether as long as you do it for the right reasons. (IMO)

Quick Reply: How long have you gone without a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.