Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Free?

Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Scent Free?

How many of you actually dress head to toe in scent blocker clothing? I am new to bowhunting, but to me it seems nearly impossible to completely rid yourself of human scent. What about when you start sweating in the stand in the warmer months? Regardless of what scent blocker you are using (clothes or spray), your sweat contains more human feremones (sp?) than almost any other body fluid.

I was just curious. I have personnaly had deer hang at the base of my tree on mornings and afternoons after my wife washed my hunting garb in smelly detergent. And I have heard stories about guys harvesting deer on last-minute hunting trips where scent preparation wasn't even considered.

So, what, if any, consideration do you give to blocking your human scent and what, if any, products (clothes and washes/sprays) do you find work best. And, if you don't rely on any scent-blocking products, what is your harvest success rate? This season, I plan to wash my hunting clothes in scent-free detergent and use carbon spray prior to entering the woods, but is this enough?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Free?

honestly, if you hunt the wind and and keep your clothes from smelling, and douse them in scent killer and an earth cover scent, i think you will be ok'

not that scent blocker doesnt work, but if you play the wind you can survive
Old 08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Free?

I don't use a scentblocker suit, and probably never will. To me they are not worth the money and I have been plenty successful in regular clothing.

I take a shower every morning before going out in Scentkiller soap and use the ScentKiller deoderant as well. I wash my clothes in ScentKiller wash a couple times during the season as well and spray down with it at the truck before going in the woods. All you can honestly do is keep you scent to a minimum. You'll never eliminate it.

I say hunt the wind and don't worry about it.