Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 thoughts on Martin bows >

thoughts on Martin bows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thoughts on Martin bows

Old 07-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default thoughts on Martin bows

I am currently thinking about buying a new bow. Right now im using a PSE thunderbolt that is about 8 years old. Before that i shot a Martin Firecat, and loved it. It was the most accurate bow i have ever shot and the quietiest. The only problem with it was that it was a hard draw with low letoff and large cams plus it didnt have much of a sight window. Seems like everyone these days shoots Matthews and i have really liked the matthews that i have seen and shot, but the prices are kinda crazy. I am considering going back to Martin since i did so well with my firecat. I checked out a Martin SlayR SE yesterday and it looks and feels great, has anyone had any experience with newer Martin bows? I havent shot a Martin in about 10 years so im wondering how the newer bows they are making are. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: thoughts on Martin bows

If I were you and the SlayR felt right, I would not hesitate. I currently have 2 bows, a Martin Cougar Mag and a Hoyt Protec. I've had my Cougar Mag for nearly 5 years now and it is still my go to bow when the archery season comes in. I've shot this bow alot over the past 5 years and only had one problem with it. About 2 years ago, I had a limb splinter. I took it back to the shop I bought it and Martin replaced the limbs in less than a week. Other than that, no problems. I've shot this bow pretty much non-stop (3-5 times an hour or more each time) for 5 years now. It's accurate, pretty quiet and reasonably fast.

Slice
Old 07-09-2004, 10:03 PM

I've had a Martin Panther Mag for 3 years now and absolutely love it. I have had pro staff shooters for other makers tell me my bow was the quietest they have never heard. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Martin.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 PM

I own three Martins. Not only are they great shooters, they have been the most trouble-free compounds I have owned......and PSE. The Martin service and tech service is great.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

I to have been shooting a Martin Firecat for the last 4 seasons and absolutely loved it. But this year it was time to put new cables and string on it and I just didn't want to put the money into the old bow. So I bought a new Bowtech. The other other day I went to the pro shop and noticed a SlayeR with the Nitrous Cams and just had to shoot it . The pro set it up for me I shot it and it was a good bow. It was fast it smooth to draw. The only downfall I saw with the bow was the vibration in the shot. I believe this could be corrected with a good stabilizer. I think for the diehard Martin fans out there, they will have a great bow to shoot.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't shot one but I sure would like to get my hand's on one for an afternoon,the slayr look's awsome .

nubo
Old 07-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the Martin Slayer head to head against the Darton Typhoon. I liked the Martin Slayer, but I loved the Darton Typhoon. The Martin Slayer is a great bow. Shoot as many bows as you can before you buy one. (That would haved saved me some money this year.[])
Old 07-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

My brotherinlaw still shoots and hunts with his Firecat, with good success I might add. This will be my 4th hunting season with my Cougar Magnum and I am very satisfied.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am presently shooting a SlayR and can say it is the highest quality bow I've had in the last 30 years. Also the fastest. What impresses me the most about the thing is how easy it draws for the speed achieved. I'm presently shooting 27.5" draw, 55lbs, and my hunting setup shoots just about 280fps. 3D setup is doing a nice 293+. This with a bow with very little noise or vibration (all bows have some).

I've checked out things like limb pocket and limb alignment with lasers both at static position and at full draw on a machine and am amazed at how well things line up. Quality second to none.

All this being said, you can shoot the SlayR/Nitrous cam or for about $160 less shoot the Cougar Mag/ Nitrous. magnum limbs. The Cougar gives up only 5fps on paper and weighs about 3/4lb less. That's what I'm getting for hunting.

You get one and you'll be a happy camper. The only regret you may have is that you didn't have one sooner.