Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Bear Hunters out there? >

Any Bear Hunters out there?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Bear Hunters out there?

Old 07-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Any Bear Hunters out there?

I was wondering if anybody uses mech.. broadheads for bear?
Old 07-05-2004, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Any Bear Hunters out there?

I would not recomment mechanical broadheads for bear hunting. Bears and large trophy bears in particular are stocky animals with tough hides. I spend a great deal of time at my uncle's outfitting camp and have seen several bears lost when hit with mechanical broadheads. A good lung shot with a relatively fast bow shooting a tough fixed blade broadhead like a Muzzy will often bring a bear down within 20 or 30 yards. IMO fixed broadheads are better for bear hunting.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:09 PM

I don't want to act like I am jumping on your thread but I have been wondering the same thing. I was also thinking of using fixed blade broadheads with the smaller cutting diameter like the new nap nitron.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I'll be using a Magnus stinger or wackem broadhead on my Sept. bear hunt,
Old 07-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on the type of mechanical. In the past five years about half of the bears taken in our group were with mechanicals(100 bears). The ones I use are the steelheads and they slice right through them!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:12 PM

I'll be using rocket sidewinders for bear this fall. I used the same head last year and got complete pass through on a 325lb bear. The bear was broadside, maybe quartering a couple of degrees. The arrow went in behind the shoulder and came out the upper leg on the other side. One of the blades imbedded in the bone in the leg and broke away from the broadhead. This is what they are designed to do, either bend back of break off when encountering very large bones so that the rest of the head can continue on and exit.
I think six out of seven hunters in our group used mechanical heads and some of those guys have multiple kills with them.
Oh yeah, my arrow has 72 ft. lbs of k.e.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 AM

Just got back from Saskatchewan on a bear hunt and their were a total of eleven bears taken in our group. 8 of them pope&young or Boone and crocket animals. Every bear was taken with a mechanical. All of us took them with a 100 grain spitfire except two guys they used mechanical GrimReaper's and they did the job as well. Not one bear was lost out of the group. No bear traveled over 100 yards after the shot. Needless to say Ya a mechanical will do the job with a fast shooting bow. Bow set ups
3 mathews Outbacks 70Lbs 2Lx 70lbs one mathews Legacy 70lbs {1Bowtech 70lbs }" Ya we still let that guy come but we were not happy about it" Just kidding all you Techies out there.