Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt??? >

Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt???

Old 07-04-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt???

I just bought a digital deer trail camera of ebay and want to put it out. But wanted to know what everyone does. Do you put it by your stands or trails leading up to your stands etc??? I didn't want to put it right where I hunt if most people feel it will spook the deer. What does everyone think???
Old 07-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt???

I never had a problem with it spooking deer.. I think the problem with people saying they spook deer is more from the human scent that from when they contaminate the area.. STAY CLEAN...

I have put them on trails and right where i hunt on mineral licks , bait piles , so on...

It works Great...

If you put it on a Bait pile. I would set the timer for about 1 picture every 20 or 30 minutes
Trail,, then you cant do it every Minute...

that my opinion
Old 07-04-2004, 07:47 AM

I typically put mine out in "new" or areas I haven't gotten a chance to hunt yet. I use it as a scouting tool to help answer questions about deer activity in certain areas.

And like Matthewsboy said, scent control is the key.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I plan on putting mine when it arrives on the trails near my mineral lick's at the rear of thier rub line .

nubo
Old 07-04-2004, 08:07 AM

Thanks alot guys for the input, I appreciate it. Hopefully I will get some really good pictures of some nice bucks in the area. Thanks again and happy 4th!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Illinioo2 just remember to post some of your pic's for us ,whether it's a buck ,doe or a fawn we all love looking at the result's of your game caming.

nubo
Old 07-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Hi Nubo, I will surely do that. I went out late this morning after golf and put it out. I will probably go back this coming Saturday morning and see what the camera captured. I am curious to see how it works. I bought it off of ebay and it is a digital, so I am excited to see how many pictures it takes and how good. I will let you all know.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got my Stealth off of e-bay as well and am waiting for it to be delivered either later this week or the start of next week and then I'll get it out to see how it work's .Good luck and I'm looking forward to viewing your pic's.

nubo
Old 07-06-2004, 02:57 PM

I would have to agree with Double Creek, but would also say that it has a lot to do with the area your hunting and the hunting pressure. If your hunting high pressure public woods, I would remove the cameras at least 2 weeks before the season opener or earlier - if it is in an area I was planning on hunting.

Some folks, like myself have 80 acres (that I also live on) and my resident deer herd are very comfortable with the game cams, fourwheelers, etc. Whitetails are one of the MOST adaptible creatures on this earth. They will tolerate quite a bit. The flip side of that is if you're hunting them, it doesn't take them long to pattern YOU! I still remove the cameras by Sept. 10th. (season opens Oct. 1).

I simply enjoy checking the cameras, developing the film and studying the deer. I have seen most of the deer on my property develop over the past 3 years. I currently have 5 mature does, 4 - 1 1/2 old does, 1 - 3 1/2 year old buck (that I've pasted on for two years) and 6 - 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yr old bucks that are getting bigger and bigger each year.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

The cameras do spook deer. In S.E. Wisc. I only get one good pic, then the buck never returns, at least the adult bucks. However in Buffalo county and parts of Iowa it did not seem to spook them. Part of it is human scent, The other part is the flash. I don't know why i get different results regionally, but I always keep the camera away from the exact spot I am going to hunt. I try to catch the bucks at there night time food source. I mainly use the camera to determin if there are shooter bucks on the farm and how big they are.

Quick Reply: Do you put a deer cam right by areas you hunt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.