Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Stand today >

Got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Stand today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Stand today

Old 07-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Stand today

I got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Legend XL stand today from Keystone Country Store. I took it out back of the house and climbed some trees with it. First thing I have to say is I really liked Loggy stands and since buying my Summit Viper, I have been yearning to get back into one. The only thing I didn't like about the old stands was the noise from the steel band. The new ones eliminate that and use a steel cable much like Summit.

The big difference lies in the attachment system. Its pretty slick. Just pull a pin, lift up the bracket slide the cable down the tube and close it. Simple! Its very simple, much like the Summit, but I gotta say, I think I like it a little more than summit. Much easier to get down into the tube. No need to bend the cables and nick the heck out of them getting them inside. It appears very secure as well.

The stand weighs a mere 14lbs on my scale. Thats one of things I missed about my old Loggy. Very well constructed and the paint seems tough. Its has a textured finish to it. They eliminated the need for anti-slip tape and put grooves in the plateform similar to Summit as well.

One complaint I do have is the ratchet strap they are using now. Its a RATCHET strap. Noisy and bulky. They used to use a cam-style strap with a safety pin lock. Much quiet and really held the stand tight to the tree. I'm going to look right away for an option to get rid of the one provided. The other is the cheesy backpack straps. They used to use nice, padded ones. Now, they use just straps like the Summits have. I may have to ditch those as well.

The stand is extremely stable though. I would say more stable than my Viper was actually. Once at hunting height and seat against the tree ratcheted fast, you can hang all over the stand and it will not move. Can't say that for the Summits, especially the plateform hanging under your feet my your weight.

All in all I'm very pleased with what I saw so far. The wide open design is bonus for bowhunters and the lightness is a breeze to drag back into the woods. Once peice also is nice as I am a tree hugger when climbing.

I'll post some pics when I get my digital back.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my 2004 Loggy Bayou Stand today

You said you hug the tree and don't use part of the stand?(you don't use the seat for hand climbing or sit and climb)

Do any others out there like this method?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I love my Loggy! Thanks for the info I will check into it.

I prefer to hug the tree to climb. I feel more secure and apon exit I slide straight to the bottom. Less parts and quiter.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:46 AM

I have the loggy and climb the same way. Hug the tree and pull yourself up.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cloud 9, yes, I hug the tree as the others mentioned here. The Loggy is a one piece stand with a fold up style seat that ratchets fast to the tree once at height. Just hugging the tree as you climb is really easy, especially with this stand because the toe bar, which you place your feet under is close to the tree.

I've found this stand to be very stable during climbing, much like the Summit I had. I guess I might have come off sounding like I didn't like my Summit. Not true at all. I really liked it, but only for a gun hunting stand. Too much restriction for me as a bowhunter.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

For me.. hugging the tree is too noisy. I use the Loggy climbing aid.. I have the last generation w/ the steel band and the big cushy seat. But back in the days before hand/seat climber or climbing aids.. hugging the tree was the norm. My dad used to have an old Baker that he made a seat climber for... was climbing the tree and the bottom platform all of the sudden slid to the bottom of the tree. Left me sitting on the seat climber w/ my feet dangling about 25-30ft up the tree. That was a fun/interesting trip down the tree... definately used my "tree hugging" and safety belt skills.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

KBacon, ya now, so far, I've never had that happen. I can envision it some morning at 5am though.

I never used the climbing aide. I always looked at it as just another peice I had to lug with me. Kinda the way I looked at the two peice Summit I had. Just one more thing to clank against one another going in or out.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not mistaken, you can use the stand as a loc on as well right? I have seen the new generation Loggys and they have my interest piqued for use as a loc on anyway. I rarely use a climber even though I have 4 of them.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes you can use it as a loc on. I have but prefer it as a climber.