Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?! >

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Old 07-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

Here is Bessemer, MI. it is Illegal to Hunt in city limits... Michigan law is stated.. You cannot DISCHARGE A WEAPON within 450 ft of any occupied dwelling unless you have permission from the owner.. Our city has an Ordinance against hunting in city limits, I am ASSUMING that is because it is the cities ordinace to not allow discharging of a weapon in city limits...
Please read the fine print. That is w/o permission from neighbors within 450'. That's only 1.5 football fields. Has your friend pissed off all of his close neighbors? The rest don't matter.

A friend of mine's setup is ladder to a plat form 20' in the air and a 20 yrd range to his fence(seperating the neighbors property w/house 5' beyond). Not breaking the law because his close neighbors don't care.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I went to College at western Michigan U. in Kalamazoo MI. We used to shoot our bows in the backyard that was fenced in as well. The second time we did a cop showed up saying we couldn't for the exact same reason.

However, the neighbor said they have cats and were afraid we would shoot the cats. We never cared if the cats came in the yard...why would we....until the cops came. We went to the ladies house and told her we weren't going to shoot the cats, but because she called the cops we were putting leg traps in the yard to keep the cats out. She freaked out. However.....she said she wouldn't call the cops. I think we just freaked her out. We weren't trying to harm anything. It all ended well.

J
Old 07-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

They come on my property and it will be open season on that a$$!![:@] My property ill do what the he!! i wanna do! Boy that makes me angry.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 PM

Turkey Fan:

They come on my property and it will be open season on that a$$!! My property ill do what the he!! i wanna do! Boy that makes me angry.
If everyone did whatever he or she wanted to do whenever and wherever they wanted to do it, it would be total anarchy.

If by the term "they," you mean law enforcement personnel, I can only say; Only an imbecile would bring a bow and arrow to a gunfight.

Regardless what you meant, the comment and threat was illogical and stupid, and a poor representation of all hunters, regardless of weapon used. [:'(]
Old 07-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

FIELDMOUSE...

THE STATE OF MICHIGAN says, its ok as long as you have permision ... OUR CITY has an ORDINACE against it, so we can't even though it would be ok by state law
Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

As crazy as it sounds it is true. I actually pulled money off a deposit on a house that my wife and I wanted to buy because I found out that the borough did not allow the dischagre of any weapons and a bow was on that list. So I bought a house 2 miles away as the crow flies and it is perfectly fine..........go figure. JM2C.[8D]
Old 07-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I can only go by the small print and if shooting a bow within city limits is illegal, I will always op for the jury trial and take them shooting.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

A few years ago I bought an acreage and built a house out in the country. When I lived in town it was illegal. Been saving up for this acreage for 30 years. Now I can hunt, hike, shoot bows or guns, even burn. Although I do need a burn permit which cost a dollar, and I get three deer permits for a dollar (Land owner). Life is good.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

It is illegal here as well, but I have been shooting in a vacant lot next to my buddies business right on main street for 20 years. I have even shot while the HP was doing inspections on school buses before the school year started. That ground is currently being developed so I have started shooting in my garage. I can get back 40 yards and still be in my driveway. I think it is a matter of no one THINKING it is a hazard and complaining to the police. No complaints means no enforcement. By the way don't tell my wife about the hole in the back of the garage where I missed the target on a oops, or there maybe a very loud complaint at home.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is why I'm glad that I live where I do. I have 2 acres of my own setting in the middle of approximately 150 acres with nothing on it. I can shoot my bow and anything else that I feel like and am still within 11 miles from our state capital. A Country Boy Can Survive.

Quick Reply: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.