Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 04-29-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Mock Scrapes

This year I've decided to start some mock scrapes early to see if I can get the deer in my aera into a pattern. I've read much on the subject and finally figured I waste enough money on hunting whats another 20$. I made 8 or 9 scrapes on two diffrent properties. Some were new, meaning I picked the site and a couple were traditional sites used in past years. I went to one of the properties last night to check out the scrapes and see if there was any activity.

WoW I placed 4 scrapes on the proberty. Two were "traditional" and two were "new". Both traditional sites were active. The ground wasn't ripped up but they were clean(no debris in them) and there were numerous tracks in them. One of the new sites had seen little activity but was clean. The other new scrape which is located between an active seasonal brook that runs into swamp on the edge of an open meadow and a thicket bordering the swamp(basically in a Honey hole) had an obvious new run cutting the muddy soil from the thicket to the scrape. The scrape wasn't really tore up but again there were numerous tracks in it and the trail heading to it looked like an interstate freeway.

I am using Buck Fever pre/post rut and am shocked by the results so far. I need to buy another 8oz bottle to freshen up the scrapes in a few more weeks. They suggest to freshen up every 1.5 to 2 months. The scent is also supposed to "reactivate" after rain because of it synthetic make up. I'd love to get a game cam on these sites to see what is there. That may have to be my next investment.

I just thought I'd share what I've found and am interseted if anyone else has started scrapes this early in the year and with what results.
For any of you that are interested I will keep you posted on future activities. I will be checking the other property over the weekend and I'll update what is found there as well.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

Sounds interesting, I plan on starting a few here soon. I thought BF recommended you to use the forehead gland scent for preseason scrapes? I need to go back and read....
Old 04-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adams,

I have been using Buckfever synthetics since 1998. Building mock scrapes (using the pre/post rut) and keeping active licking branches going year around with the buckfever forehead gland scent. The forehead gland scent also works well on mock rubs.

It sounds like your getting some great activity in your areas. Good luck

Shed
Old 04-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Shed, I was hopeing you'd respond. I noticed you've mentioned BF in a couple of other post. I'm pretty impressed so far. Since you have some experience with mock scrapes you may be able to answer a question for me.

As double creek had mentioned about BF Forehead scent should be used on the licking branch but from what I've read the deer don't actuall start rubbing their antlers until they have stopped growing and they're shedding their velvet. I am weary of putting a scent on the licking branch that may be 4 or 5 months early. In your experience will the forehead scent be ok this early in the year?

I'd imagine I'll be ok without it. Based on the amount of sign at the scrape sites I feel the other deer are using the licking brach so there should be scent there. This should hold true for the "traditional scrape" but the "new scrapes" is were I fear a problem may arise as deer havn't been licking the branch before. So far all seems good. Just curious if you have an opinion on the subject.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:10 AM

I generally don't start making mock scrapes this early, usually August. However, we have had some really great success with mock licking branches as well. Apple, Oak ,and Hemlock seem to work the best. We "zip tie" the branches to what ever we can find on trails or over mock or existing scrapes and they really seem to encourage deer to stop and spend some time. These are both bucks and does. I will also spray the moch licking branch tips with B/F Gland for a little added attraction factor. Seems to work really well. I had very good luck with the synthetic urines in some areas and marginal in others. I still have a good deal of faith in it and look forward to what this year may bring. Keep us posted as to how things progress. TGK
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adams,

I use the forehead gland on licking branches year around. Why, because when a buck works a licking branch he often rubs his forehead on it too and they do this year around. I have watched bucks in my areas work these branches with both their mouths and foreheads during the spring, summer and fall. I hope this answers your ? as to why I use it year around. As for mock "rubs", I start them around August 30th, like you said, right when the bucks start rubbing and shedding their velvet.

I start my mock scrapes up as early as June, but like you are doing I know of several hunters that have started them in March and April. I talk to Kevin Kreh, owner of BuckFever Synthetics, quite often and he has had deer respond very early like you are as well. I would say the biggest reason I don't start them as early as you are is because this time of the year I am shed hunting most of these areas and I dont want to associate my human scent with a mock scrape. When I do put in a mock scrape I wear rubber boots, scent lok, rubber gloves and am really clean and sprayed down with vanishing hunter. IS THIS A MUST? I can't say for sure, Its a personal choice for me.....but it makes me feel confident I am not associating human scent with my setup.

Good luck !

Shed

I used forehead gland scent on mock rubs...last season on this guy... Labor day weekend.. he had just shed his velvet and stopped to check out the NEW rubs I introduced very near his bedding area.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used the BF year round. Just becuase they don't have antlers doesn't mean they wont rub their head on a tree either to scratch their head or disperse scent on the tree. And they will still use the licking branches even without the antlers.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Point Titelist
Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW. I think I need to get me some of this stuff. I always thought it was more marketing and never really gave it much thought. I can already think of 4 spots on our 80 that I would like to try this. How do you go about creating a mock scrape?

Thanks for posting and giving me the idea. I can't wait to try this.

Damn, now I am all worked up and stuck here at work.[:@]
Old 05-21-2004, 02:08 PM

Update 5/21/04

I have checked up on the mock scrapes again this week and activity seems to be constant. I have not added any scents to these scrapes since they were first made (with the exception of the one next to the clover field I planted. This one scrape I have urinated in on a few occasions as an experiment) Yet when I visit them they are clean(no debris) and moist. The trails leading to the scrapes are clearly visiable and one looks like a cow path.

I ordered a digital stealth cam today so I hope to get set up in the next week or so. Once I do I'll start post pics of the deer that have been visiting. I'll also try to get my hands on a digital camera so I can post pics of the scrapes and runs leading to them.

Quick Reply: Mock Scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.