Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Judging Yardage

Old 04-20-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Judging Yardage

Anyone have some tips for judging yardage? I just can't estimate it. I will be shooting 3d so marking off distances isn't an option. I have a carpenter's wheel so I can measure them.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Judging Yardage

I don't shoot 3d but I did start out 3 yrs with out a deer, not without a shot. What I did do was to measure with paces from my stand to my scent drops then took this in my mind with a circle when up a tree. Now with the expiriences racked up this isn't needed. 3D however is different.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM

Practice. Practice. Practice. I use a very complicated way to judge with the distance between my pins. You just have to learn all of the targets and at what distances they are as tall as the pins are, this is from Belly to back.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:09 PM

I TEND TO THINK ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME. LIKE WHEN YOU ARE WALKING FROM YOUR CAR INTO WALMART OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WELL THAT CAR IS ABOUT 30 YARDS AWAY. THEN PACE IT OFF AND SEE IF YOU WERE RIGHT. MY WAY IS THIS, I GET MY RANGE FINDER OUT AND RANGE SOMETHING. SAY IT'S 20 YARDS AWAY. THEN I START OFF WITH MY LEFT FOOT AND COUNT PACES EVERY TIME MY LEFT FOOT HITS THE GROUND, WHEN I REACH THE SPOT I RANGED I KNOW HOW MANY PACES IT TAKES TO GET 20 YARDS. SO THEN WHEN YOU ARE IN A PARKING LOT AND YOU TAKE YOUR GUESSES YOU CAN ACTUALLY PACE IT OFF TO SEE IF YOU WERE RIGHT AND THEN YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE A DUMMY WHEN YOU ARE COUNTING EACH STEP TOE TO HEEL.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

An easy way to estimate yardages is to do it in increments.I'm sure you know what 5 yds looks like.Range off 5yds,then another 5,then another 5.After awhile,you'll get the hang of it and get pretty good at longer distances.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ewolf

Just so you know that your method is against the rules of the IBO and the ASA so it may not be a good idea to give a young person that type of advice without pointing it out.

What JimPic said is the best way to do it.What I have done is buried bricks ground level in 5 yard increments out to 60 yards on my shooting range.This gives me a visual of 5 yard increments to the target eveytime I shoot.Eveytime you are practicing you need to make it a habit to judge those markers each and everytime to get it down to a fine art.Also try to invest in a rangefinder and go out in the woods and start trying to judge different landmarks and check yourself against the rangefinder.Also, learning the targets is crucial.They are all different sizes so you need to make as many shoots as possible to learn what they look like at certain yardages.

When I have done my best shooting was when I was able to just look at a target and I knew the distance before ever judging the ground.That is another step,always look at the target first and ask yourself how far is it.Then start judging the ground all the way to the target.Then,judge to halfway and then double.If all of these methods come out with the same number,then shoot.If they don't come up with the same number,take an average and poke and hope. Seriously,I don't usually take an average because one numbver will stick in my head as the one but there are time when I have no clue and have to take an average or just an educated quess which is all we do anyway.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 PM

As far as 3d shooting this won't be much help but when it comes to hunting- I find about 4 softball size rocks and spray praint them white in the off season, making sure to give the paint months to dry and time for the scent to disperse. When hanging stands, about a month or so before the season, I'll place the rocks 20yrds due north,south,east, and west of my stand; making sure they are visible from the stand. It's been my experience that it doesn't bother the deer at all they hardly seem to even notice them if you place them out well before the season. It gives you an easy reference point when the big fella steps in your shooting lane.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zak, I also agree with judging in increments. It is generally a little bit easier while shooting 3d, because you can use the colored stakes. Five yards to the white 5 more the the green etc. That's what I do, it has worked well so far.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

This technique works well and accounts for error in any one method. It involves the average of three differently acquired estimates:

1. The simplest........just look at the target and make a guess.
2. Look at a point halfway to the target, guess that smaller range, then double it.
3. Look at a point ten yards in front of you, and similar to the above posts, increment that ten yard "image" up to the target.

Now just take a rough average of the 3 estimates and shoot for that range. This seems to work particularly well when the target has an obstruction that lies between it and the shooter that would make it hard to rely on one estimate.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:35 AM

Now , I judge in increments as well ! I have a pretty good idea of where 20 yrds is in just about any terrain (open fields still get me a little).......and just double it for 40 and so on........and typically I'm within 2-4 yrds !

When I first got started I tried to do the same, tried guessing and stepping off, tried a rangefinder, etc. ........all helped ! But I got a tip on throwing arrows randomly around the yard.......and shooting from where ever they landed and starting out ....it helped me the most ! I stretched things out after I got that down !

One more tip........use real expensive arrows.......I used A/C/C's in the beginning ! After you lose several of them at $12 bucks a pop.......somehow ......the learning curve speeds up quite a bit !!

Good Luck !!

Quick Reply: Judging Yardage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.