Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer cocaine

Old 04-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Deer cocaine

who has used this? i am thinking about buying some for my hunting area. Will deer touch it now? when is the best time to use it if not? thanks. i want u use the stuff u put in the ground
Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer cocaine

From what I see, it's just expensive salt and doesn't really help the deer as far as minerals. There are many others out there that will give you more bang for your buck.
( I am assuming you want to do more than just attract them)
Old 04-05-2004, 04:25 PM

I didnt see any signs of use when i tried it. I mixed it with peanut oil, and deer did hit it, but not enough for me to hunt over it.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

put out the salt now and by hunting season you will have a crater. they need the salt mostly in the spring and summer. i have only once seen a deer come to a lick in the hunting season.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried it once. Followed the instructions to a T and got very good results. The deer formed sort of a wallow around it and it was a high traffic area for a while. I was glad to see that they got some nourishment out of it. I didn't hunt over it though. I bought the stuff on closeout at Walmart and just wanted to try it. It worked for me.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:33 PM

Save your money and just go get a mineral block. We used to use the deer cocaine and the deer did use it but had a man who sold it in his sporting goods store told us that there was nothing benefical to the deer in it and the ingrediant in it that caused the deer to get addicted to it may be harmfull to them
Old 04-05-2004, 05:50 PM

We use it in about 3 places where we hunt and they make a big crator where we put it and it works great.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long did it take you guys to start noticing deer visiting the site? I tried it back before Illinois outlawed salt blocks and such during the offseason and it took them forever to start using it.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using it for the last few years with some very positive results. Many of the game cam shots that you see me post on these forums are with a deer cocane spot located within the picture area.

The big "key" to using it is location. You need to find the proper soil and topograpics to get it to work well. Of course, it also needs to be located relatively close to a major deer trail so that the deer will notice it. I have three or four "spots" where I am already putting it out to attract deer for next season. Again, of course, once the season gets closer I have to stop dispersing it as it would be considered baiting and therefore would be illegal in PA.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I used it and it worked pretty well. I put it on the ground and the deer dug a hole for about 4 months.

That was two years ago....then I stumbled onto this site.

I don't remember who you are out there, but someone posted how to make your own mineral salts a while back. I made like 200 lbs of it for like $25. You want to talk about a hole being dug!!!!!!! It worked really well.

Here's how to make it:

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

You can by this stuff at any feed store!

Hope this works. I just remembered who gave this to me. It was horntagger...so thanks horntagger.

J

Quick Reply: Deer cocaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.