Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feeders???Why??

Old 01-31-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Feeders???Why??

Why in the world would a person hunt over a feeder. I could se using food plots as a NATURAL way of attracting game, but a feeder? please help me understand if there is any way to.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feeders???Why??

In Texas, feeders seems to be the norm with most deer hunters. I have rifle hunted with some friends who used feeders and have seen them used by many of the bow hunters although I haven't personally used them. I have thrown down some corn to slow them down or stop them and have varied results. I have had lots of does but few bucks and most of the bucks were young. What I have observed, probably common knowledge to alot of hunters, is that the feeders seem to work best early in the season. Once the deer get pressured, they tend to hit the feeders at night and avoid them in light. I have witnessed many deer meandering through early morn with no signs of alarm only to come across bait and instantly start looking and adopt a wary attitude. My personal thoughts are feeders/bait is fine. I also think they are best for attracting does/young bucks. Most of the bigger bucks and also does tend to stay back from feeders/bait. That doesn't mean they never hit them as I know plenty of guys who've taken good bucks at feeders. My personal thought is there is a reason the bigger bucks/does got bigger and that is by a very cautious approach to known dangers and that's what feeders/bait becomes to them. I probably will never set up a feeder. I prefer to scout and set up on trails, etc. to catch them unaware. My time in the woods is limited and I prefer to enjoy it. Some of my friends (mainly rifle hunters) only go out to re-fill their feeders and then go sit in a blind. I feel they are missing half the fun and most of the woods. Or maybe that's half the woods and most of the fun!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:51 AM
nub

I'll open this can of worms.
Why in the world would a person hunt over a feeder.
Because they are selfish and could care less about the spread of diseases like CWD and TB. Most baiters probably couldn't kill a deer without.[:'(]
Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I don't use one..........but people use them because they are legal.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nub

I'll open this can of worms.
Why in the world would a person hunt over a feeder.
Because they are selfish and could care less about the spread of diseases like CWD and TB. Most baiters probably couldn't kill a deer without.[:'(]
Because they are selfish and could care less about the spread of diseases like CWD and TB. Most baiters probably couldn't kill a deer without.
I hope people have enough common sense to ignore idiotic statements like nubs. I use feeders as well as food plots here in Fl. and in Ga. even though you cannot hunt over feeders in Ga. Feeders are another tool in game management as well as a means to get a shot at deer. I have killed both deer and hogs over feeders but by far the mojority of my deer have been killed nowhere near a feeder, and I'm sure I have killed as many deer as most folks on this board, well above the average anyhow. I also have several deer mounted on the wall, 2 8pts, 9pt, 10pt and a 12pt only one of which was killed any where near a feeder.
Useing feeders doesn't make you less of a hunter any more than shooting the first legal deer you see does even though the "trophy hunters" will disagree with that.
To answer your original question use a feeder to get deer coming to a specific area, but they aren't majic they will not pull deer into the area from miles away, and as was mentioned before most of what you see will be does and small bucks, even with hogs your bigger boars won't come in until after dark most times. Feeders are just a tool like your gun or tree stand or anything else you take to the woods.
Bowdacious and Aeroslinger said it better than I could but basicly it boils down to you.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Just to clarify before I get attacked for breakin the law. When I said I use feeders in Ga. even though you can't hunt over them you can use feeders but you must hunt atleast 200yrds away and out of sight of them.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is really very little difference, (philisophically) between feeder and food plot.....both are a used to attract deer to a certain location to enhance opprotunities for killing
A feeder is throws food in a ten foot diameter, food plots can be acres. No difference.

If someone wants to sit a feeder and they enjoy it more power to them. In NY you can't feed deer at all so it's a non issue.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Feeders are probably the hunting gadget I have ever seen. FOOD PLOTS contain natural growing vegetation, raw corn is bullsh!t.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_huntr

FOOD PLOTS contain natural growing vegetation, raw corn is bullsh!t.

what food plot have you ever seen that was growing natural vegetation. every food plot I have ever seen or heard has been man made and man planted. I guess we shouldn't hunt over the big white oak or red oak tree feeders too. they throw them big juicy acorns out for the deer to eat. why even post an idiotic question for people to help you try and understand this issue. What you are doing is trying to raise arguements on this board!!!

Quick Reply: Feeders???Why??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.