Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rabbits with Bow >

Rabbits with Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rabbits with Bow

Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rabbits with Bow

I knowi should be posting this in the small game forum but i figured this would be better here. Everytime i go out looking for rabbits (not sure when cotton season starts so i am just going after jackrabbits) i can never get close enough or see one in time to get a shot off.I was thinking about for pratice is get a old tire and have someone roll it. I also an idea of putting a target on a skateboard but not sure if that would be smart of not. I need ideas on what i can put inside the tire without it falling out. Any suggests on praticing and/or advice on tatics? I still havent gotten anything with my bow [:'(]
Old 01-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rabbits with Bow

One thing that would be helpfull would be a small round piece of styrofoam(there are replacement centersections at Walmart for some targets that are perfect) and have someone roll it and try to shoot it.

I have been rabbit hunting with a bow but I havn't taken 1 with it.I have taken a couple quail and a pheasent and several fish with it however.Small game hunting with a recurve is a blast.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:50 AM

If are planning to hunt "Jack" in the open spaces of the Mojave with a bow, you are a masochist.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pick up a can of insulation foam at the hardware store , fill up a gallon milk jug and let it harden. Then take it out and toss it around and shoot at it. It's great practice. I prefer that over stump shooting.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want another fun animal to hunt. Here in Idaho we have whistle pigs. They are a cousin to the prarie dog. I dont know if they have them where you live but it can be hours of fun with a bow. Bring lots of arrows.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rabbits... they run like their tails are on fire when I've got my bow in hand. They sit like statues when I'm toting a shotgun. Go figger.

I've hunted small game with my bow ever since I was a little kid and that's still my favorite hunting. Lots of shots, lots of action. Beats the tar out of sitting in a stand and trying to keep my eyes propped open.

I agree with TFOX, a recurve or longbow is the cat's meow when it comes to small game hunting. With a compound, I'd definitely take off the sights and shoot fingers. Being able to get on target and get the shot off quick is just as important as accuracy. In other words, MANDATORY.

Do not try for the classic heart/lung shot on rabbits. It's a small target and you're more likely to get a gutshot than anything else. A gutshot rabbit can make a clean getaway and wind up as coyote food. Go for headshots. Aim for the eye. A miss is a miss. A hit is a dead rabbit, or at least knocked cold as a cucumber so you can administer a coup de grace.

My favorite practice is just roving around and shooting at any worthy target of opportunity. I carry a plastic sack with me and pick off any coke/beer cans or plastic drink bottles I come across. Stick them in the sack when I retrieve my arrow. I hate litterbugs but I do enjoy the practice targets they leave me.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY GRANDFATHER TOLD ME IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENTS ON A COLD DAY IF YOU LEARN WHAT TO LOOK FOR YOU CAN SEE THE GLEAM OR REFLECTION FROM THERE EYES off the sun. SO I GUESS ITS POSSIBLE TO CATCH THEM SITTING IF YOU CAN HUNT SLOW.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:19 AM

I have hunted rabbits with a bow before. Shot one, but he ran into a log. People say i am crazy, but if you chase a rabbit for about 20-30 yards after you jump him, he will stop and present a shot even for a bow or rifle shooter.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:24 AM

Hunting rabbits with a bow? Id rather attatch a string to my tooth then to a door and slam it shut.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 AM

This sounds like great fun and an extra challenge! Looks like I need to start practicing for next season...

Quick Reply: Rabbits with Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.