Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rubber boots and dry rotting? >

rubber boots and dry rotting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rubber boots and dry rotting?

Old 12-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default rubber boots and dry rotting?

Do ya'll treat your rubber boots with anything? I have a pair of Lacross Burly 800'rds that I've had for 3 years. last year they started dry rottin. I've had to patch them in several places. besides keepin the mud washed off and keepin them dry, is there anything ya'll do to keep your boots from dry rottin?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rubber boots and dry rotting?

I have heard of armor-all helping rubber, but Terry, that stuff stinks and the deer would probably run.

I guess that is why I buy the wal-mart elcheapos every 2 years.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:53 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Lacrosse makes a product that is supposed to prevent it. I've never used it. Only thing would be to keep them in a dark place when not in use. Sunlight is the main cause. The armour all does work but odor would be a major problem.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 PM

I was all hyped about getting some of those lacrosse boots or the Cabela's equivalent until I visited Cabela's in Hamburg, PA over Thanksgiving. In their bargain cave was a pair or two of returned rubbered boots that both seemed to have dry rotted excessively just above the ankle and were patched quite a bit until I guess the owners got tired of doing it. I'm surprised Cabela's put them back on the floor. It sent up a red flag for me and cost them a sale until I researched it a bit more. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:10 PM

I use armor all or any kind of protectant. After I let them set for a day or two, I wear them to go mud riding on the fourwheeler or just go walk around in the mud somewhere. Also before going hunting, I use a scent killer over my clothes. Besides that, I just keep them stored inside my barn on some boot holders that keeps them upside down and out of the weather.[&:]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. Mez, where do you get that stuff? I e-mailed Lacross about 6 months ago (thought I might get another pair but no deal, bad customer service as far as I'm concerned), but they didn't mention anything about that stuff.

Thundermug, I'm thinkin walmart brand may be the best way to go. these burlys cost me $80 + dollars.[:'(]

I don't want anything on my boots that smells. but I guess I could treat them with armor all when huntin season is not in. I think that may be when their dry rottin, when in storage. I just keep them in a closet.
does storing them in a plastic bag help? somebody on another forum said that's what they do.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

bogobble, I'm not sure where you can purchase it? One of my trapping buddies got a bottle of it witha pair of LaCrosse waders. It came along in the packaging. Not sure if it works or not, we didn't use it as our waders last two seasons at most.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Mez, I just looked on their website and your right, there's a conditioner for rubber boots. I'll check with our local sportin goods store. thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I think it must be with the way you're using them or the way you store them in hot weather. Keep them kool and out of the direct sun when you're not using them. Makes no sense to lock
em up in a car or garage where they can bake. I hang mine upside down where they'll get air. In the summer I stick them in storage tubs in the basement. Make sure if you have gas hot water or furnace you don't expose them to long term fumes. Seal them up.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I think it must be with the way you're using them or the way you store them in hot weather
That's probly my problem then, because I keep them in a closet that has no airconditioner vent in it. it gets really hot in there durin the summer. I'll have to start keepin them in another closet that does have air. thanks

Quick Reply: rubber boots and dry rotting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.